Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and bought some new tile flooring today for my living room because the Home Depot had on hell of a deal on it. Anyways, I got the spacers, tile, grout, and thin set. Anybody know if I can lay thinset over my existing floor? It's an old hardwood floor from the 1920's or so. Or do I need to get the backerboard for it?

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Step 3: Install the Concrete Board

Tile cannot be installed directly to a wood subfloor. In order to install the tile, you are first going to have to install concrete board. Concrete board typically comes in 3' x 5' sheets and can be attached to the wood subfloor in order to provide extra strength. You need to adhere the concrete board by using tile adhesive and nails or screws. You can drill or hammer them into place. Then cover the seams with seam tape.

Read more: How to Install Tile Over a Wood Floor | DoItYourself.com

I tiled a bathroom in 4x4 tile.

never again :lol

I would hate tile in the living room but that's just me. My feet hurt bad enough in work boots.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
^ what he said. Do yourself a favor and get a wet saw. If you only plan on doing your own stuff a cheap one will do. You can get them at lowes for like $100. They are SOOOOOOOOO much easier than using a nipper to make cuts and they will save you $100 in frustration alone. Also, invest in a cheap undercut kit for your door and entry way moldings. I just have a cheap hand saw one but it gets the job done.

[

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I would guess rafters since its from the 1920s.never laid tole but I have out down hardwood floors. If they are comparable let me go ahead and express my condolences...

;)

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got 200 something square feet of ceramic tile for $200 and couldn't pass it up. If your floor looked like this after you pulled the carpet up, you would understand. :lol

·
Like A Boss
18,927 Posts
You can get a cheap tile saw at harbor freight. Its a good tool. My dad's works well, and it is used a lot for rental houses. Don't even try to use the little scoring tile breakers. They work not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
14,391 Posts
Back when I smoked cigs, I was smoking the entire time I laid tile, lighting the next one with the currant. I went with laminate floors. Pergo went so much faster.
Are you one of the usual suspects?

(Don't watch that vid if you haven't seen the usual suspects and go out and rent it)

·
14,391 Posts
Well I got 200 something square feet of ceramic tile for $200 and couldn't pass it up. If your floor looked like this after you pulled the carpet up, you would understand. :lol

Dude, that's actually pretty nice looking hardwood! Don't put anything on top of that!

Go get a sander and refinish the hardwood...

That will look a million times better than the tile.

·
Like A Boss
18,927 Posts
Dude, that's actually pretty nice looking hardwood! Don't put anything on top of that!

Go get a sander and refinish the hardwood...

That will look a million times better than the tile.
This... Tile is for bathrooms. Hardwood is so nice. And it may be cheaper than doing the tile

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
962 Posts
tile everything thats what I did, except my bedroom. but yea concrete board makes life much easier. Helps get the tile more even so you dont have edges sticking up as well.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wood is cracked, has holes in it, it's just in shitty shape. I'm just not a hardwood fan. Although, I did just buy some for my kitchen. My bathroom and hallway are already tile and I like the look

·
Super Moderator
14,581 Posts
use backer board. Get the board, a box of the backer screws, spacers, thinset (both types: one for under the backer board, and one for under the tile), and the tile. Then you need a way to spread the thinset, so buy a trowel for that. You will need a couple big buckets and grout. If you know nothing about tiling, then do all the research you can. It's not just slapping down some tile. There is an art and science to it.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Do you know have a concrete foundation under your hardwood floor?

If you do, pull up the hardwood floors. If you don't, then lay down concrete board first.

Tiling is easy, just make sure you measure correctly (if you're doing a pattern like we typically do) and also take into account "entrances", and just take your time.

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
I would guess rafters since its from the 1920s.never laid tole but I have out down hardwood floors. If they are comparable let me go ahead and express my condolences...

;)
Missed that part.

Definitely use a backer board underneath it. Permabase is nice because you can score it and snap it like drywall and it is available in 4x8 sheets, but be advised the 4x8 sheets are heavy as hell.

Its a good tool.
Slowly! Do NOT rush it.
That is what she said.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How easy it is to refinish hardwood floors:

YouTube
Damnit, now you have me wanting to refinish it. I have 3 rooms like this. The other 2 are bedrooms. Third bedroom is some kind of linoleum but idk what's under it yet so we will see on it. Maybe I'll just use my tile in the kitchen/dining room :lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts