Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Castrol GTX oil in my car for about 20,000 miles. Everything I hear is great about it. What oil do you guys feel gives the best bang for the buck? Castrol GTX says it's additives reduce engine wear, just like synthetics do. Thoughts?

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
I use Castrol GTX in my truck and 87 MCSS. Castrol Syntec for the Mustang. We only use GTX at work for everything except for the newer vehicles that came with Mobil 1

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never tried Castrol... but then again, my car asks for full synthetic...
castrol GTX isn't synthetic, but heard it's just as good as synthetics. I'm contemplating switching to mobil 1 synthetic...just curious as to everyone's opinions.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
Regular motor oil breaks down much sooner than synthetic.

There are tons of independent studies that show that synthetic oil does not breakdown for upwards of 20k miles..

I use Mobil 1 in all my cars simply for the fact that I can go 7-9k miles between changes.

Dodge Viper, Corvettes, ALL Porsches and many others recommend Synthetic oil and thats what they come with.

Thats good enough for me.

That being said, years ago, I used to use GTX. Never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
i know my dad uses castrol gtx for his work trucks and they are used everyday around the city with no problems.... he uses mobil 1 clean 5000 or 7500 on his work/personal truck and its also great.... i used to use castrol syntec full synthetic on the mustang and on my previous car which was a 3000gt but recently changed to mobile 1 full synthetic im liking.... it not sure if i can say its really all that better than the syntec because they both hold up great but i hear better things about mobile 1 and decided to switch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts