Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave the wheel bearing in, or do you bite the bullet and just replace the wheel bearing while you are in there. I just had the right front bearing replaced, but my brakes are grabbing hard, so I was thinking about getting the rotors turned, and putting in a fresh set of pads to see if that will stop it. I would buy new rotors but they are pretty pricy buy the time you add up all the bearings, wheel seal, dustcap.....beer

also, it does not pull one way or the other when it grabs. It just nose dives with a horrible squeal.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean. From what I recall, the last time I changed the wheel bearings, the race was hard as **** to get out of the rotor.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
By floating rotor I mean, you take off the caliper and caliper bracket and pull the rotor off with your hands.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I just did not know if you take the rotor in like that and they will turn it, or do I have to pound that race out, because if I do, I am just going to install new wheel bearings.

·
Registered
342 Posts
at my shop you just pull the rotor off like that and throw it on the machine

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Yea you can take the rotor off and bring it right in to get it turned if it can be turned. No need to worry about the bearing race for that.
They just put it on a machine and shave it.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
fox rotors are not floating rotors like sn95+ cars.. the bearings need to be repacked when you go to install the rotor again probably but you if your suspecting the rotor being warped then you should pull it and have it turned.. cost little money the throw the **** back on

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the rotors are glazed; if that is even possible, maybey its the pads that are glazed. I don't feel any pulsing when I stop, but they have a horrible sound when I stop and are grabby at low speed and it does not sound like the warning scraper on the pads that I have heard from other cars. But when they are warmed up and someone stops fast in front of me, they do not stop that fast. The exact opposite from the low speed grab if that makes sense :lol

It looks like there is some pad left on the outer pads from what I can see through the wheel. I have never touched the rotors the entire time I have owned the car and I think this will be my 3rd or 4th set of pads I have put on. Who knows how long the previous owner was on the rotors.

And I hate doing the wheel bearings :lmao

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
My 91 made it almost 160K miles and 18 years before I did rotors and bearings. I could have put the same rotors back on but they were cheap enough to replace.

Your calipers could be hanging causing your pads to drag, or something not moving freely like bolts could be corroded, pins bent, side of the pads or the caliper rusty in the corners near the dog ears of the pads. Basically something causing a pad be stuck or jammed causing uneven wear and possible your rotor to always be several hundred degrees hotter than it should be because of the constant drag or maybe your back brakes aren't working right overheating the front brakes. There is nothing hard about installing new rotors and bearings on a fox. The new rotors should come with races already installed so you will not need a press, just the two bearings, grease, a dust seal and some torque specs. I highly doubt swapping just those will directly fix your issue though. First step is to check your pads and make sure all 4 are wearing evenly and go from there. You can scuff them up with some Emory cloth as well and see if that helps.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have done wheel bearings before with no press :dunno just a chipped flat head later :lol

And I am replacing the pads, and I am not getting new rotors, I am getting the old ones turned. If it is the caliper, it will have to wait. I am on finite time and money.

Ther is nothing hard about it besides school work and timing the weather right. That, and I am always worried if I packed the fudge right.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
i don't like replacing rotors esp if they are warped because it just makes them thinner and they warp faster.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the rotors turned and new pads on. The old pads were real shiny, almost like mirrors. Don't know if that is normal. :dunno Still has a minor squeal from the rear brakes, but at least I am not holding a high note when I pull up to a stop light :lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts