Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 3.8L v-6, automatic, 17" Konig Beyond and Z Rated Michelin's

I was telling everyone that I only got 1 "off brand" muffler put on my stang this past weekend and everyone spanked me telling me I should have dualed out. I couldnt due to $$ reasons. I WILL do this later when I get more $$. They also said I should have gotten Flowmasters or some brand name like that. But again...$$$

Well, the kind of muffler that was installed was a "MellowTone" muffler. Not sure if any of you ever heard of that or if you have heard others talk about them (good or bad)?? I mean, for not being dualed out it still sounds pretty damn good.

I saw one gutted right next to a Flowmaster and there was literally no difference except the name and it is about 1/2 the size.

Ya'll...Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
546 Posts
2003 3.8L v-6, automatic, 17" Konig Beyond and Z Rated Michelin's

I was telling everyone that I only got 1 "off brand" muffler put on my stang this past weekend and everyone spanked me telling me I should have dualed out. I couldnt due to $$ reasons. I WILL do this later when I get more $$. They also said I should have gotten Flowmasters or some brand name like that. But again...$$$

Well, the kind of muffler that was installed was a "MellowTone" muffler. Not sure if any of you ever heard of that or if you have heard others talk about them (good or bad)?? I mean, for not being dualed out it still sounds pretty damn good.

I saw one gutted right next to a Flowmaster and there was literally no difference except the name and it is about 1/2 the size.

Ya'll...Let me know your thoughts.
The shop I got my exhaust put on was trying really hard to get me to buy mellowtone mufflers. He said they sounded really good on our cars and flowmaster couldnt touch them. I still went with Flows because I thought he was trying to get rid of the mellowtones to someone who didnt know any better.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
video!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Size matters!

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
we should meet up sometime next week so i can hear it in person :yes...i can take an HD vid for the v6 guys here so they can throw in their 2cents as well

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we should meet up sometime next week so i can hear it in person :yes...i can take an HD vid for the v6 guys here so they can throw in their 2cents as well
Tell you what I will take one with my Droid and upload it. I may have to post it to YouTube with the rest of my **** but I will give ya'll the link to it when I do. There is also a lot of other stuff on there: my son wresting tournament for Riverdale High School, my shooting my Sig Sauer in my back yard for target practice, etc... but I will give the direct link to this one I get it.

How 'bout that??

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tell you what I will take one with my Droid and upload it. I may have to post it to YouTube with the rest of my **** but I will give ya'll the link to it when I do. There is also a lot of other stuff on there: my son wresting tournament for Riverdale High School, my shooting my Sig Sauer in my back yard for target practice, etc... but I will give the direct link to this one I get it.

How 'bout that??
do it!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts

How 'bout that??
When you upload the video, just go to the page where you would watch it, copy the URL, paste it here, and the forum is set up to play the video without anybody having to go to YouTube (unless you set the video up so it can't be played anywhere but YouTube).

·
Banned
17,374 Posts

How 'bout that??
sounds good...for now :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, here it is. The wind is blowing like a Muther due to tornado's blowing in here in a couple hours.

All I gotta say BEFORE you rag on it is....it sounds 110 x better than it did with the stock exhaust and remember...this is ONLY on 1 side. I will try to get the other side done as soon as I get more $$$$

PPL actually turn around now when I go by...they didnt before! But i know its coming...go ahead...rag all you want...its all the money I had AND doing this and the Seafom took my MPG from 19 to 21.5 MPG!!! <---Thanks McQueen!!!

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Ok, here it is. The wind is blowing like a Muther due to tornado's blowing in here in a couple hours.

All I gotta say BEFORE you rag on it is....it sounds 110 x better than it did with the stock exhaust and remember...this is ONLY on 1 side. I will try to get the other side done as soon as I get more $$$$

PPL actually turn around now when I go by...they didnt before! But i know its coming...go ahead...rag all you want...its all the money I had AND doing this and the Seafom took my MPG from 19 to 21.5 MPG!!! <---Thanks McQueen!!!

YouTube - 2003 3.8L with Mello-Tone exhaust
doesn't sound like flowmasters to me...sounds more like a striaght piped v6 minus a little noise due to the muffler...i dunno. it doesn't sound bad...a true dual setup would sound way better though :yes

as for the tornado...**** it. i've got a 2liter of mnt dew and im watching netflix...let it drop :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i think its sounds pretty good man!!!...where in the world can i find the mellowtone online, i cant find them anywhere lol

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
doesn't sound like flowmasters to me...sounds more like a striaght piped v6 minus a little noise due to the muffler...i dunno. it doesn't sound bad...a true dual setup would sound way better though :yes
I agree, it doesn't sound bad but I'd like to hear it on a dual setup. I actually expected it to be quieter since it's still a single exhaust setup.

i think its sounds pretty good man!!!...where in the world can i find the mellowtone online, i cant find them anywhere lol
I believe they're made by Brockman or something like that. That might help you find them. I know when I searched "mellowtone mufflers" I got a bunch of forum posts asking for mufflers with a mellow tone :lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree, it doesn't sound bad but I'd like to hear it on a dual setup. I actually expected it to be quieter since it's still a single exhaust setup.

I believe they're made by Brockman or something like that. That might help you find them. I know when I searched "mellowtone mufflers" I got a bunch of forum posts asking for mufflers with a mellow tone :lol
The owner at the shop I went to told me that there not in production anymore. So that could be why you cant find anything about them. :dunno

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, I guess I got lucky. There is a local muffler shop near where I live that stocks them. It is call Ray's Custom Exhaust. They are right on the border of Smyrna/Murfureesboro, TN. You may Google them and call them up. I bet they would send you one. I may be able to get you the number if you like. I paid $100 for the muffler in the video and to mig weld it on solid. They are called "Mello-Tone XPS". They had a **** load of them and all differnt sizes, even dualed ones. I just didnt have the $$ over the weekend (and prolly wont for a couple months to get the other side done so I went with the one side for now). Dont get me wrong, I want dual but $$ was the main factor.

Lets put it this way. My son was with me. When they finished with it and parked it so I could leave...as soon as we buckled up and started it up he looked at me and and said "Oh yea, now THAT is what a Stang should sound like!" Only having 1 side done it had a damn good sound to it. I can only imagine having both done. I am NOT going to go for the X shape. I am going to have each side have its own exhaust since I like the sound of that one.

And the inside...man it is 1 piece of sheet metal and that is it! It is bent in a "V" shape to keep the sound from going directly through. Other than that it is HOLLOW. When he let me see it before he welded it on I couldnt believe the weight. I mean it felt like it was well-built and NOT a cheap piece of tin like most mufflers.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Man, I guess I got lucky. There is a local muffler shop near where I live that stocks them. It is call Ray's Custom Exhaust. They are right on the border of Smyrna/Murfureesboro, TN. You may Google them and call them up. I bet they would send you one. I may be able to get you the number if you like. I paid $100 for the muffler in the video and to mig weld it on solid.
that is where this setup is flawed badly...way to much for a generic muffler welded in

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Lets put it this way. My son was with me. When they finished with it and parked it so I could leave...as soon as we buckled up and started it up he looked at me and and said "Oh yea, now THAT is what a Stang should sound like!" Only having 1 side done it had a damn good sound to it. I can only imagine having both done. I am NOT going to go for the X shape. I am going to have each side have its own exhaust since I like the sound of that one.
You should be able to have your shop just chop the "y" off of your current midpipe, run some new tubing to the existing muffler, and basically copy that setup on the other side.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts