Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my dirt car we use a winters performance rear, and while I was looking at some stuff at there site, I noticed they make them for street cars, as well as a irs set-up. Has anyone heard of anyone putting one of these in a new edge?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I've never heard of anyone running a quick change rear in anything other than a Dirt car. In drag racing we use a 9" for semi-quick changes.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a quick Google and from what I've gathered, people have ran them in funny cars,as well as the class like we would run. They are based off a 9" and from what I have read there good to about 850, maybe more.

It might be something I add to my build list for the future, nothing like a 5 minute gear change.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I did a quick Google and from what I've gathered, people have ran them in funny cars,as well as the class like we would run. They are based off a 9" and from what I have read there good to about 850, maybe more.

It might be something I add to my build list for the future, nothing like a 5 minute gear change.
They may use a 9" ring and pinion but they certainly aren't "based" on a 9". You see those small gears under the rear cover (aka: the quick change). They won't hold up to the type of abuse that drag cars dish out on ring and pinions. Have they been used before? Yes, you'll mainly see them in some stock class nostalgia cars..... not the rear end for drag launches. There's a reason we don't use them.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Most guys on racing use the ford 9" because you can change the gears some what quickly. I don't know much about them but a friend of mine is into the old school cars used to own a shop and said most guys will drive to the track using 3:27s or something get there swap in 4:11s race put back the 3:27 n go home

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Most guys on racing use the ford 9" because you can change the gears some what quickly. I don't know much about them but a friend of mine is into the old school cars used to own a shop and said most guys will drive to the track using 3:27s or something get there swap in 4:11s race put back the 3:27 n go home

Nope. $80 worth of rear end lube and an hours work to swap ratios on a DD? No. They are considerably easier to change because you can set up multiple ring and pinion center sections and remove/install them without setting up gear lash. Not a trackside swap just for five passes.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Nope. $80 worth of rear end lube and an hours work to swap ratios on a DD? No. They are considerably easier to change because you can set up multiple ring and pinion center sections and remove/install them without setting up gear lash. Not a trackside swap just for five passes.
As I said i don't know much about it he just said he had a few friends that used to do it with there race cars they'd put a small gear in to drive to and from the track them they'd swap once they got there

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
As I said i don't know much about it he just said he had a few friends that used to do it with there race cars they'd put a small gear in to drive to and from the track them they'd swap once they got there

Not logical. In twenty years I've never seen that done. I've taken part in many 9" gear swaps at the track..... never 'cause we drove the car there on a different ratio. He's filling your head with BS, i'm not calling you full of ****.... i'm telling you that the guy s is full of ****.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or you just drain the fluid out of a quick change, unbolt 8 bolts, switch the gears, put cover back on and re fill fluid. They are extremely strong. I mean late models are about 900hp for a 436, sprints are about that with a 410. I read some even use them for asphalt oval. Depending how hard it is, I would like to do it in few years since I'm setting my car up for autocross

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Or you just drain the fluid out of a quick change, unbolt 8 bolts, switch the gears, put cover back on and re fill fluid. They are extremely strong. I mean late models are about 900hp for a 436, sprints are about that with a 410. I read some even use them for asphalt oval. Depending how hard it is, I would like to do it in few years since I'm setting my car up for autocross
They're extremely strong on dirt. They're extemely weak on a VHTd drag strip with 6000 RPM launches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts