Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a DD really bad. I want to start keeping my mustang miles down, as well as maintenance. I want a peppy daily driver, and i need room for a car seat in the back. A 4-door SVT Contour seems like a good choice. There is two locally for sale

FORD SVT/2000 --- 190.000 MILES

1998 Ford SVT Contour

I was wondering if there are common problems with these cars, and if they are expensive to maintain? Any common problems for certain years? I dont want to be putting tons of money into it or have to chase "hard to find problems" around. I had a bronco before that gave me more headaches than it was worth.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Contour'd on here would be a good person to talk to. Haven't seen him around much lately.

As far as other peppy daily drivers, I had a non-turbo subaru impreza. It was a great DD and good in bad weather as well. Avg'd 27mpg in my AWD 2.5l 4 cyl. Could also look into an SVT focus if you want to stick with ford as they are probably a little more common.

·
The Dude Abides
1,471 Posts
I don't know of any problems specifically. I have driven a couple of them and liked them a lot for a FWD.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My girlfriend. Well ex now, Has a 2000 contour v6, 5 speed non SVT. My buddy had a 1999 SVT contour.

The oil pans are not baffled, and some use oil, my girlfriends just leaks it and im too lazy to fix it right now. So make sure you check it frequently. They usually have alternator problems as well, they eat them. We've put 7k miles on my girlfriends and havent gone through one but the PO told us he had to put one on it. Im unsure what causes this though. Havent checked into it that much.

They are ball-less until 5500 rpm or so. But they get great gas mileage. My girlfriends got 31mpg all the way to Maryland a month and a half ago. The RPM's do sit high, they are low(numerically high) geared. At 45 mph in 5th gear is 2k rpms, and 70mph in 5th is 3k rpms.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, great info so far! I have considered a subaru, my only concern is repair cost. Im looking in the 2-3k price range, so i know i will have to do some work. I know the SVT contour uses many of the regular contour parts which they made a **** load of lol. That and i know nothing about subarus

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Subaru's aren't that bad. I didn't have a single problem with my 06'. Wish I still had it actually. That car was such a great/fun commuter. It was also awesome in the snow. They have a few quirks same as mustang but there is a huge cult following so you can find out how to do just about anything online. Your price range is going to limit you quite a bit no matter what though tbh.... Be prepared to have to wrench on whatever you end up getting.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
SVT Contours make great daily drivers IF and ONLY IF you don't beat the piss out of them every day.

Common problems:
1. Wiring harnesses on 98 SVTs. 98.5-2000 are ok for this.
2. rocker panels rust out pretty bad. If you find one with some rust, get to it fast and fix it, or it'll spread quick enough to make your head spin.
3. The oil pans are not baffled, so if you're going to be cornering hard with it, keep it an extra half quart full. I keep 6.5qts in mine at all times! Make sure when test driving it to take it up to about redline and make sure it has no signs of a rod knock. They usually are noisy on start up, but that's nothing to really worry about, its when you get higher up in the RPM range where you need to worry.
4. Differentials are made of glass on the late 98-2000 cars. If you can find one that was owned by a CEGer that did a Torsen, Quaife, or Pre98 differential swap, GET IT!
5. Transmission shifter towers have a bolt that goes through them that likes to sheer off. It'll feel like you have no gears. If that happens, stop the car immediately and have the car towed and fish it out with a magnet. Get a new bolt and throw the tower back in. Good as new. Or get a keyed tower and never worry again.
6. Also on the shifter tower, where the linkage attaches to it are 2 bushings (one on each linkage). These bushings tend to go bad over time and fall out. The shifter feel becomes very sloppy, and the linkage can fall off of the tower. It'll feel like the broken tower bolt. This however is safe to continue to drive if this happens.
7. Lower control arm bushings like to dry rot and clunk/develop play.
8. Rear subframe can become over rusted can break! Check very closely. Surface rust is typical, but you shouldn't be able to push through it with your finger. Big no no!
9. Rear toe arms (stamped, rear most suspension arm on rear suspension) seem to be a popular spot for tow truck drivers to hook to. Make sure they are laser straight! No bends are allowed on these!
10. Alternators like to go out. Be sure to use a quality motorcraft replacement alt if this does happen!
11. "Moosing" is a common problem. Rev the car up to about 3 or 4K rpm and it'll sound like a damn howler monkey. This is caused by the IAC failing or the IAC passages being plugged up with carbon in the upper intake manifold. Easy fix though with some pipe cleaners and sea foam.
12. Some times the IMRC will not function when hot. Usually an issue with cars with headers due to the lack of heat shields. Also, the IMRC will fail completely and cause either a no start issue because the secondaries are stuck open, or you'll lack power over 4000RPM because they're stuck closed. There is also a metal rod that connects the two banks and the plastic bushings break making it so only one bank of secondaries functions.
13. Wheel bearings
14. Axles break when being too rough.

That's about all I can think of for now. I love the cars. I've owned 4, currently owning 2 of those. I autocross and drag race my daily driver, and it sees 7K almost every day of the week. The stock 2.5 has yet to let me down. A very popular swap is a 3L from a Ford Escape, Taurus, or Sable. They have baffled pans, make a lot more power, and seem to get better gas mileage. The one car I just bought this weekend has a 3L swap, but has a rod knock that needs fixed. If you have any questions what so ever, either shoot me a PM, or look me up on facebook.

·
Dirt Dives Me Crazy
1,197 Posts
They are nice cars. I had a 2000 Cougar before I jumped ship and got my mach 1. Same platform. I wish I wouldve been able to keep my cougar. It was a great car. Had it since new. I got to the point either I did a 3L swap or get a mustang. There is aftermarket for them but its not very broad especailly since the platform is dead. I would look at the SVT focus as well. Great little cars. I just saw one on modular fords I think with low miles.
Edit: Here it is. If I was looking for a DD right now, this would be it. I think you just have to make sure the belt service has been done. Southern car too.
For Sale 2002 SVT Focus, 69k miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts