Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying some kooks LT's in the near future. I have a pypes O/R h-pipe and pypes violaters. I plan on keeping the mufflers, but the H has gotta go. Kooks only offers an X (i don't really like, sorry) and going open headers sound REALLY good to me. What do you guys think? Anyone heard it or seen a video? Post em, I wanna hear em

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Open headers are a no-no. Your car need back pressure. Open headers will hurt performance and damage the valves. The x-pipe with the pypes mid muffler cat back sounds awesome.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Check out this Corsa stuff:

MUSTANG

Scroll to the bottom of the page, and hover your cursor over the numbers to hear the different examples.

I think I'm liking this Corsa sound. :yes

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Well as you say Zip, different stroke for different folks. I prefer the Bassani, plus the price is much more attractive.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Open headers are a no-no. Your car need back pressure. Open headers will hurt performance and damage the valves. The x-pipe with the pypes mid muffler cat back sounds awesome.
I disagree. If the car is tuned properly there will be no issues other than it will be loud as hell. Look how many hot rods run open headers without issues. The back pressure thing is a myth, its all about exhaust velocity. (although they are somewhat related).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I disagree. If the car is tuned properly there will be no issues other than it will be loud as hell. Look how many hot rods run open headers without issues. The back pressure thing is a myth, its all about exhaust velocity. (although they are somewhat related).
I think that open headers are awesome on v8's. Unless its your daily driver, then its just way too loud. But Exhaust velocity is pretty important as the firing order of each cylinder is important as each cylinder's exhaust helps suck the other cylinder's exhaust out of the header with a vacuum.

·
Registered
991 Posts
well i think it sounds like **** unless its a classic they sounds different and you can burn valves you lose performance (lack of back pressure i thinks its dumb)

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
But what do hot rods have in them. Usually carb'd push rod V8s. Not modulars. The mod motors need back pressure.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts