Modded Mustang Forums banner

Anyone heard open headers?

3K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  TheUNZippee! 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying some kooks LT's in the near future. I have a pypes O/R h-pipe and pypes violaters. I plan on keeping the mufflers, but the H has gotta go. Kooks only offers an X (i don't really like, sorry) and going open headers sound REALLY good to me. What do you guys think? Anyone heard it or seen a video? Post em, I wanna hear em

#15 ·
I disagree. If the car is tuned properly there will be no issues other than it will be loud as hell. Look how many hot rods run open headers without issues. The back pressure thing is a myth, its all about exhaust velocity. (although they are somewhat related).

#21 ·
open setup = good

yall are crazy! i think the open setup sounds pretty good ~ but to me...louder is better :yes

i have flows on mine and i just had my cats cut out (fabricated O/R H pipe pretty much) 2 days ago and i love it...will put a clip of it up when i get a chance

#26 ·
have any of you guys heard a car with open long tubes? Been in one? Its ear defening.

Basically the kid lives no more than 150 yards from my house. I can hear at idle when he turns it on... I can hear him coming down the highway thats about 150 yards from my house also, but in a different direction. Ive heard that some cars that do that have been registered at 120 dBs+

Id like the electronic ones just for an inimidation thing. like have rice rev at you then open em, then rev back, then close em.

#31 ·
Also:

"BACKPRESSURE = TORQUE?
An old hot-rodder's tall tale: Engines need some backpressure to work properly and make torque. That is not true. What engines need is low backpressure, but high exhaust stream velocity. A fast-moving but free-flowing gas column in the exhaust helps create a rarefaction or a negative pressure wave behind the exhaust valve as it opens. This vacuum helps scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gas faster and more thoroughly with less pumping losses. An exhaust pipe that is too big in diameter has low backpressure but lower velocity. The low velocity reduces the effectiveness of this scavenging effect, which has the greatest impact on low-end torque.

Low backpressure and high exhaust stream velocity can be achieved by running straight-through free-flowing mufflers and small pipe diameters. The only two exceptions to this are turbocharged engines and engines optimized for large amounts of nitrous oxide. Both of these devices vastly increase the exhaust gas volume and simply need larger pipes to get rid of it all."

From Magnaflows website, here: I Win. lol

I would think Magnaflow knows what they're talking about.

#33 ·
Swimming Pool Filter

Exactly. Backpressure is needed to maintain proper exhaust gas velocity which affects proper scavenging of the cylinder chamber. The idea is to get low backpressure, not no backpressure.

Think about it. No need to filter this out, here it is:

Say you have a 3" diameter pipe opening, and your goal is to get the water flowing as fast as possible in order to empty out say, a swimming pool. If you just open the valve, the water will indeed shoot out of the pipe...but if you were to attach say, a 2" diameter length of hose to that pipe, the velocity of the water would increase and move faster. Make the length of hose to small in diameter, and you lose velocity from restriction, make the hose to large in diameter and you lose velocity from....not enough backpressure.

#35 ·
Hey debating and learning **** is part of the forum. :)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what the best size pipes are for our car, although I do know that stock they come with 2.5 pipes, and I'm sure Ford made them that size for a reason. As you would begin to get more serious with performance upgrades, you would need to change that, and a performance exhaust shop would be able to tell you what's best for your set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.