2,950 Posts
How do HIDs work

do they come with a certain bulb that you have to use or wat

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
How do HIDs work

do they come with a certain bulb that you have to use or wat
The use high voltage low amperage, to ignite a sodium filled bulb, the sodium turns to a vapor, closing the circut and creating light there is no filiment. they also last along time, about 10 yrs, is the life span of a bulb.

I have bought 3 sets of ebays cheapest and out of 6 balasts only one has failed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is there any HID kits that anyone knows of for the kind of headlights I have, here is a link to a picture of my headlights, They are the one piece I got off ebay. I hope the link works.
MySpace
MySpace

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
do they use the same bulb combo and your original headlight setup

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah i dont think that will work right.....see the headlights in my avy.....i think they are the same as your except for a fox and im pretty sure i wont be able to do that HID kit either

·
Registered
292 Posts
yeah thats what I thought, but buying the ones I have now sure beats buying stock ones for a 100 bucks a piece. Ehh oh well

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
thats wat im thinking.....i think im gona buy blue led bulbs for the turn signals and the side markers and then put silver star ultras in high beams......do you have the H3 bulbs in the projectors on yours?.....how bright are they.....mine arent that bright even after i replaced the 55 watt bulbs with 100 watt bulbs

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you are buying HID's for increased lighting then go with 4300k or as close to that number as possible. 4300k is the whitest and brightest HID, the higher you go in Kelvin temperature, the less light the bulb will give off and the more blue-purple it will appear. Also with HID's you usually want them to be in projector housing as opposed to reflector housing like stock mustang headlights are. Reflector housings are designed for halogen bulbs, and not for HID bulbs. You can actually LOSE light in some instances if you put a HID bulb in a reflector housing not to mention blind oncoming traffic.

If you just want the bulbs for their color, then disregard everything written here:D

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If you are buying HID's for increased lighting then go with 4300k or as close to that number as possible. 4300k is the whitest and brightest HID, the higher you go in Kelvin temperature, the less light the bulb will give off and the more blue-purple it will appear. Also with HID's you usually want them to be in projector housing as opposed to reflector housing like stock mustang headlights are. Reflector housings are designed for halogen bulbs, and not for HID bulbs. You can actually LOSE light in some instances if you put a HID bulb in a reflector housing not to mention blind oncoming traffic.

If you just want the bulbs for their color, then disregard everything written here:D
You are correct about the lenses, but they are not that bad with the stock "diffuser" style reflector. Its the clear aftermarket lenses that will blind everything that is in front of your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.