Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, early next summer my car will be paid off (finally!), and I'm planning to look at 4x4 trucks after that before winter sets in so I can stop borrowing my FIL's old beater Pontiac.

I'm not looking to spend more than about $10K, give or take a couple thousand, and I've been really looking at the '98-07 body style. My old boss had one that I drove a bit, and it was a nice truck, and got good mileage with the 5.3. Plus I'd really like an LSx engine to mess around with, and the price range for '04-06-ish models falls right into my budget.

I've mostly heard good things about these trucks, except my wife's uncle who said his was a piece of junk (though I don't know the particulars).

Oh, and as for why I'm not really looking at Fords...well, honestly I don't want a 2-valve mod motor. I would get another diesel in a heartbeat if I could afford to buy fuel for the thing.

Anyway, any experience with them with anyone here?

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
The front ends on those years wear out like crazy, expect to have to replace everything, tie rods, ball joints, idler arms and any other bushings if it hasn't been done recently on the one you pick up. Also the hubs usually are in need of replacing on most of them now if they haven't already been done.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Man I thought only the Dodges were really bad about that...

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Ive got 3 of them in the family (well 2 silverados and 1 tahoe, close enough)
about 700k miles combined. No major problems other than the electronic transfer case crap. The 2000 never had a 4wd issue but the 05 and 06 have both needed transfer case motors (the 06 is on its third). We also maintain them well.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I miss my old F250 with its manual hubs and manual transfer case. Nothing electronic to go wrong there.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
since my last post the trans in my dads 06 needed a rebuild. it has about 220k miles

·
DSMs are cool...
2,059 Posts
I enjoy them. The rockers like to rust and they form exhaust leaks on the manifolds from bolts breaking. Take care of the trans and you'll be fine with the 4l60.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
My buddys 04 seems fairly solid.. I wouldn't consider it as nice as my 05 F150 I had, even though his truck is well equipped but it has an unreal amount of rattles and door alignment problems.

It also goes in and out of 4x4 sometimes and we don't know why. Other than that it is reliable transportation.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
My buddys 04 seems fairly solid.. I wouldn't consider it as nice as my 05 F150 I had, even though his truck is well equipped but it has an unreal amount of rattles and door alignment problems.

It also goes in and out of 4x4 sometimes and we don't know why. Other than that it is reliable transportation.

The 4x4 thing is common with any Classic GM truck with the electronic shift. They love to eat those encoder motors.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Lol it's really annoying. I borrowed his truck to pick up a mattress and it locked into 4x4 while I was trying to make a tight turn in a parking lot. He had it lock up on him going around a quick turn and it yanked the truck so hard he stopped to check his suspension because he thought he broke a tie rod.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Lol it's really annoying. I borrowed his truck to pick up a mattress and it locked into 4x4 while I was trying to make a tight turn in a parking lot. He had it lock up on him going around a quick turn and it yanked the truck so hard he stopped to check his suspension because he thought he broke a tie rod.

The one in my tahoe started acting up on me about a week after I bought it. Yanked the fuse before my August trip and had to replace the encoder motor In sept.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had a couple of the02/03 1500 and 2500 HD Diesel. If you have the money and nee the truck to use as a truck, get a diesel. The truck will rot off the frame on a diesel before the engine goes.

As far as the front ends, the question is do you do the work yourself. If so, ball joints are 20 bucks each and wheel hub/bearings are around 150 and you can do all this yourself. The brake lines are the item I would look at.

If your gonna get a gas jobbie, get one with the 5.3L
The 6.0 is a beast on fuel and not worth it for a used truck since at that point you would just get a diesel.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a diesel (Ford), would love to get another except diesel is $1.00 more a gallon than 87 octane here and in no way shape or form can I justify that over a gasser truck, especially since the diesel has such a higher initial cost.

I would most likely be looking at a 5.3L, that seems to be the most widely available engine anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts