Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So i finally moved my 4.6l engine and 5 speed manual tremec trans into their respective homes and started it up new years eve. Just to say i got it running before the end of the year. Granted i need to purge the brakes (vaccum power brakes to hydro with ABS swap)bleed out the power steering rack/system (complete rack and pump swap) and hook up/fill the radiator. Thats the short list. But it fired and ran for a min with no blinking emergency lights or unknown leaks. So heres the rub.. i found a 351 windsor 5.8l for a song. I sang and it is now sitting on my engine stand in the process of being stripped. I want to bring it down to the bare block without removing the crank or pistons. I was told its a 100,000 mile engine outta a late model f-250. Now that being said i had to pull it from the year plus overgrown weeds somehow into the bed of my truck. (Multiple picks with my engine lift) now thats why i am askin if anyone knows about compatibility. Will my trans Bell housing bolt up to this block? I know i will have to pick up a flywheel and clutch seeing as though its only got a flex plate on the back. After its dissection if all goes well I would like to do one of three things. Install it into my coupe skeleton after purchasing ALOT. Two. Sell Three instal this engine into the car i just finished swaping a v6 auto to a v8 manual. Do I seek out mustang parts or ford truck parts? What are you all got for ideas? Until the summer this 351 is most likely be on the engine stand being picked apart untill i get to see how worn it is. Clean her up fresh coat or three of paint and start putting it back together pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The windsors and mod motors have different bellhousing bolt patterns so no your trans will not bolt up to the block. You have a few options; buy a t5, run a c4 or an aod and pray it doesnt grenade. I wouldnt bother with this swap unless you had a fox or 94/95 to throw it in since itll be a lot easier because they originally came with windsor engine family motors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a c4 bell housing with a t5 and a 10” clutch and flywheel. Thinking of ditching the intake manifold and goin with a four barrel carb. There is no black box (computer) just a buncha cut wires and tubes. The 04 i plan on using is completely stripped so everything is gonna have to be put into it. Basically just a unibody sitting on bricks in the driveway. Think an auto may be easier and cheaper? Located in Fairfield CT

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Auto could be a little cheaper just based on components and availability. Depends on what the chassis is set up for as well. You might be playing with fire putting a stock T5 behind a 351W if you build it at all. They're not rated that high for torque. You might be able to get away with it if you don't launch or shift it too hard though. I ran into the same thing when I was debating throwing a T5 behind a small block.

I'm out in Indiana so probably not that feasible for either of us. My fox is still for sale regardless though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i was having the same convo with my cuz and the c4 is most likely what i am gonna go with. Granted i would rather a standard but the possibility of buying a bulletproof standard as compared to the cost of a c4 of which i will most likely be rebuilding in the near future ( i tend to trash autos). The budget (nonexistent) wont support it (my paycheck) just having someting to play with in the garage is basically what i am goin for. Enough to keep me busy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts