Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate it. Looks rusty and make me sick.

I noticed a few foxes in my area are all painted up nice with a flat black. Should I take it somewhere or do it my self?

·
Registered
569 Posts
tape it off and paint it

·
Registered
371 Posts
heck do the mirrors to while your at it, i need to do my door trim and mirrors bad....

i plan on just cleaning and sanding the area and using rusoleum "flat black" couple coats then a clear coat...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
go to LRS (late model restoration) and they should have that trim peice that is chipped to hell.. the rest u can tape off sand it a little with some 300 grit and then rattle can it..
just maks sure u sand it smooth and clean it with some thinner,rubbing alchahol or break cleaner before u paint it .... 90% of the finished product is in the prep work...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd really like to do that but It have to be painting it outside in the wind and eliments I have no garage. Plus I'd have to basically tape off the whole car. I don't want black paint on it. To much if you ask me. I wonder how much a shop would charge.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
I'd really like to do that but It have to be painting it outside in the wind and eliments I have no garage. Plus I'd have to basically tape off the whole car. I don't want black paint on it. To much if you ask me. I wonder how much a shop would charge.
just get a tarp at wally world for like 20 bucks. :) or one of those big plastic sheets they make for floors when you paint in the house. they're like 5 bucks.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
yep, i taped mine off and sanded it and painted it flat black with just a touch of clear to make it look like it came from the factory. looks as good as new.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm I'll have to look into it.

Is it hard to replace the chip piece below the window?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I painted my door trim, wiper arms, ant and base, door handles, key hole, trim around the front and rear windows and a few other things with some brand name ultra black satin finish rattle can paint. It looks really nice. I've used generic brand flat black in the past and it looked good too but did not last long.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
I painted my door trim, wiper arms, ant and base, door handles, key hole, trim around the front and rear windows and a few other things with some brand name ultra black satin finish rattle can paint. It looks really nice. I've used generic brand flat black in the past and it looked good too but did not last long.
you painted your key holes?

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
hmmmm I'll have to look into it.

Is it hard to replace the chip piece below the window?
no. they should pop right out. check that link i posted earlier. that's what you need homes.

EDIT:

5.0 RESTO <---- these are probably better than the others i posted earlier

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Not just the hole, the whole door lock cylinder face.
They are supposed to be a black anodized color but it wears off and becomes "chrome". Mine are now satin black.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Not just the hole, the whole door lock cylinder.
They are supposed to be a black anodized color but it wears off and becomes "chrome". Mine are now satin black.
got any pics?

·
Registered
698 Posts
They actually sell the proper paint for the trim. SEM is one brand, no clear coat required. Works super on windshield and rear window trim also. It's available bug bomb style, prime with some self etching primer before painting. The paint is available at some auto parts stores and most all auto paint supply places. Also available on lone from places like Eastwood, TP Supply etc.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Paint the whole car flat black. :D

No nasty runs here... just a very stealth look at 2 am after street racing and driving home past cops.
I DID! :D(the 79 coupe)

But for those areas in that picture hes showing us. I used krylon semi flat when I had my white 89 gt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts