Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 V6 with the base steering wheel in crappy shape and just bought a used Premium steering wheel to replace it. The new wheel has the button missing next to the cruise control "+" (closer to the outer edge of the wheel). I figured I could just pop mine off and put it on the other wheel, and worst case, if it has some sort of clips that break, I can superglue it on.

I know it's a long shot, but wondering if anyone has taken the wheel apart to this extent. It looks like the cruise button assemblies might also slide out toward the wheels center.

Thanks,

BB

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Peel the whole switch out. They just pop right out. Get a small screwdriver or something similar and stick it under the switch and pry one side up. Thats the easiest thing. You can further disassemble the switch if need be.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying the right side switches to increase and decrease speed will pop straight out when pried with a small screwdriver? No sliding necessary? Is there a connector on the back?

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tried prying up switches along the edge along where it mets the stainless looking spoke and they don't want to pop up. Don't want to break them!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This guide says just put your finger under the switches where the harness attaches and pull up. Trouble is that the switches have a plastic lip on the long sides that keeps them under the stainless spoke. You either have to spread the stainless spoke apart to allow the lip to clear it or squeeze the switches. Did I mention I don't want to break the switch?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guide above says gently pull up the stainless at the outer edge where it meets the rim. Did that and bent the freaking stainless cause it was glued on tightly. Sigh. Now where will I find one of these stainless caps for the wheel I just bought?

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
The stainless is plastic. It shouldn't have bent. Post a pic. There are plastic tabs that hold it in place on a rubber part of the wheel. No glue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it. Turns out I was pulling only on the stainless lip at the rim, not knowing it was attached to a plastic piece underneath. Stainless is not bent that much at all so hopefully superglue will hold it. Wonder how I will get the switches out of my molded wheel that has no stainless...

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Post pics. Is the new wheel all leather? Because those switches will lift right out just like the stock wheel without the plastic trim.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the new wheel is leather and the old one is molded. Cruise switches popped right out of the new wheel! I only bent the stainless away from its plastic backing about 1/8" so I superglued and clamped - should be fine. I won't have a chance to remove the old wheel from the car for a few days, but know about depowering airbag. Thanks for the help! On my iPad so can't post pix.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just looked at the molded steering wheel and the long edges of the switches are definitely under the molded part of the spoke. You can can see that it covers the lip on the switches like the stainless piece does. Wonder how to get it out...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts