Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to thinking since my engine is apart ( stock 90 shortblock). I am going to buy some TW 170 heads and TW stage 1 cam. Is it possible with out changing out pistons to mill the heads to bump up the compression? Has anyone tried this or is there not enough piston to valve clearance? Thanks

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Only one way to find out!

Check your PTV clearance now, then mill off what you need to keep your PTV within spec.

Example: if you have .160 PTV now, you could easily mill .060 & have safe PTV when you're done.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Just want to point out that if you mill the heads a lot you may have issues with the intake manifold lining up and sealing

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Yes, Ive milled mine to achieve 58cc chambers. No issues with ptv. Had to mill the intake to make the ports match up again.

·
Tire Smoker
45 Posts
^ I'm interested to know this too. I have a pair of TF's that sucked a valve and need to be fixed. This would be good to know.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I have no idea where I found it before, but my heads, which are a cnc'd version of the 170's are supposedly 1cc combustion chamber drop per 6 thousandths if I am remembering this correctly. The only reason I ever searched it was because I had them milled once to get rid of the 'ring' around the chamber from standard head gaskets because I am running multilayer's now. I don't think I called them, but I'm sure if you want to know badly enough, they'd be able to tell you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts