Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dressing up the engine, thinking about spraying the plenum to match, wondering if anyone has done this, any tips for prep and paint choice?

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
I wouldnt, paint holds more heat, which equals hotter air in your motor which equals slower :(

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I don't think the paint holding heat is gonna make that much of a difference. If you can paint it to match that'd look good I think. Do you have the stock plenum?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
In fact if you used ceramic paint it could help protect the manifold from engine heat soak.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I painted mine with high temp engine paint and it worked fine up until I had to put it in a vice for a broken bolt.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Paint holds heat, i want to powdercoat my supercharger piping yellow and i even have a powdercoating setup in my shop but im scared it will up my intake temps

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Its a 3 core procharger intercooler, shes good! meth injection soon :)

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
i sw a 98 Cobra with a Procharger with a blue intake manifild and valve covers, ect...looked sick!

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Paint holds heat, i want to powdercoat my supercharger piping yellow and i even have a powdercoating setup in my shop but im scared it will up my intake temps
The difference would be BARLEY (im talking .x of a degree) noticeable if any. Due to the specific heat of o2, velocity of the air, and other factors. Same idea when it comes to people saying a plastic intake is better than a metal one.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
hmmmmmm

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.. yeah I think powdercoating would be sick, but $$$ and I can spray it myslef for cost of paint, and it will all match under the hood...

Bandity.. you're in MD, you going to the "suppor the troops meet" on 14th?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
wait, the stock plenum is plastic. correct me if i am wrong but you cant powder coat plastic

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I'm pretty sure the stock plenum is not plastic... The stock intake is plastic, is that what you meant?

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
plenum elbow (the part 99% of us replace with an accufab/PP/etc) is cast aluminum...the intake manifold thats under it is plastic lol

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
oops, too early here on the west coast, my bad. read plenum and automaticly thaught intake manifold.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts