Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone is running DR's with there factory gt clutch still, im going to be upgrading mine at some point but was curious as to how long it would take to destroy the clutch with these tires?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I have the stock clutch still. 61,000 miles. Car has been supercharged for the last 12,000 miles. I've made about 12 passes N/A on BFG drag radials 275/50/15 and 3 passes with the blower. Held up to 5500rpm dumps no problem. Not sure how long it would take to destroy, but the stock clutch can handle a good bit.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
are you daily driving it still with the stock clutch and DR's
Daily driving but not on drag radials. On the street it really doesnt matter. Even with drag radials you wont fully hook.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I ran a stock Termi pressure plate and Centerforce disc on both drag radials and hoosier slicks. No slip ever..... I know that wasn't your question but you aren't getting much feedback so I figured I'd offer that.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I'm running a Centerforce clutch and I've avoided ET Streets because I worry about the input shaft of the transmission breaking off. I have read several times that its best to run a clutch that will slip a little to protect the transmission.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah eagle ive read that to then i see a bunch of guys have no problem, one of my friends said if you run an agressive clutch you can still run drag radials just dont heat them up so they still slip a little but never have so i dont know im just worried running a drag radial im going to explode my clutch and be broke down somewhere but i see people running them with stock clutches so i dont know just wondered how much abuse it would take

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
yeah eagle ive read that to then i see a bunch of guys have no problem, one of my friends said if you run an agressive clutch you can still run drag radials just dont heat them up so they still slip a little but never have so i dont know im just worried running a drag radial im going to explode my clutch and be broke down somewhere but i see people running them with stock clutches so i dont know just wondered how much abuse it would take
If your clutch "explodes" its a manufacturing defect. Drag radials eat axles and input shafts, slicks eat clutches.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok gotcha yeah i have almost no traction in first now and im adding a little more horse with my new tune this spring so ive just been thinking about what i should do for a little extra traction, i dont ever go to the track so i didnt want to do anything to crazy with suspebsion and all that

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
mt et streets still stock clutch here you will be fine for a while as long as your not launching all the time

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Clutch wear and drivetrain wear in general is very dependent on your driving style. I have 475 hp with nitto 555Rs. Only drivetrain mod is a spec stage 2 clutch, Ive heard/read these engage pretty aggressively. Only been to the track with it once, but I do a good bit of spirited driving using the full grip of the tires. The worst part for the drivetrain is shock loads, so if your easy with the clutch off the line it will help the rest survive.

As for the input shaft, Ive had a few discussions that lead me to believe a big issue with them breaking is driving hard in 5th gear especially with boost! The 5th gear in our transmissions is a overdrive and running WOT in it puts tons of stress on the input shaft!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i never launch the car because it wouldnt hook if i tried but i do a great deal of spirited driving mainly 2nd thru 4th pulls so i should be ok then. im amazed people are breaking in 5th i wouldve assumed the shaft would snap on a hard launch

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
A hard launch can and will break them with enough traction and power but the load is short and metal is elastic so I can return to its original shape to a point. Im 5th gear, you are potentially running at full load in a very tall gear for a long time so the shaft has more time to twist to failure. This is the conclusion I have come to after some discussion and my engineering knowledge. After all some people break with lil power while other have tons and never have a problem.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
A hard launch can and will break them with enough traction and power but the load is short and metal is elastic so I can return to its original shape to a point. Im 5th gear, you are potentially running at full load in a very tall gear for a long time so the shaft has more time to twist to failure. This is the conclusion I have come to after some discussion and my engineering knowledge. After all some people break with lil power while other have tons and never have a problem.
So you think WOT in fifth gear creates more stress than my 5500 RPM clutch dumps on nitrous with 1.51 60 times? Interesting.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I had my clutch slip while getting on it in 3rd gear at 15k

1 - 20 of 27 Posts