Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's not easy being green!
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang Premium Stock Replacement Rotor Kit (94-04) GT-V6

Hey guys I'm looking to replace my front and rear rotors and pads. I had an inspection and my front are at 70 percent and rear at 30 so I just thought I would replace them both, what do you think? My front feel kind of mushy anyways so I was wanting to freshen them up.

For the record I'm not looking for anything extremely performance rated such as drilled and slotted, mainly because the price difference. Just a simple replacement and these advertise stronger than stock anyways! Lastly what pads would you recommend? I was thinking Hawks performance pads, I've always heard good things about them! The stock replacement pads are like 50 bucks but I would be willing go a little more if the hawks pads made a strong difference. Not like Cobra brake difference but still :grin2:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm using hawk HPS pads and they stop pretty well, but when I first installed them, they put out A LOT of brake dust in a short time span. They still put out more than the part store pads I had, but not as much as before.

I don't know if the stopping improved with the brakes or with my tires more as I did them both within a week of each other. If your brakes can lock up your front tires with ease, then you don't have enough traction to take advantage of increased stopping power and you really just need a better tire.

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had great experience with EBC Redstuff pads. I have heard good things about the hawk pads but haven't ever used them.
Nice to know!
I'm using hawk HPS pads and they stop pretty well, but when I first installed them, they put out A LOT of brake dust in a short time span. They still put out more than the part store pads I had, but not as much as before.

I don't know if the stopping improved with the brakes or with my tires more as I did them both within a week of each other. If your brakes can lock up your front tires with ease, then you don't have enough traction to take advantage of increased stopping power and you really just need a better tire.
I had Hawks pads on my old 01' V6. I do need new front tires though. My rear continentals are new but my front have only about 30 percent tread. So I plan on getting new front tires asap after I install these to take advantage of it. Only thing that sucks is my XXR wheels are 18x9.5 up front and cost more than my old 17' bullitt wheels :bash:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Centric blanks for rotors

Stoptech, EBC, Hawk, all are good for pads

·
Registered
386 Posts
They are all good, the question at least to me is, which put out the least brake dust?

Hawk HPS are great at stopping, but be prepared for constant cleaning.

Because of this, I went with OEM Ford pads. They seem to put out less dust than other brands, and their stopping power is reasonable for spirited street driving.

For the track? You will probably have to fore-go the OEM's and go with something else. Lot's of guys on here will have experience with what to use...

·
Registered
343 Posts
StopTech street performance pads also put out quite a bit of dust. However, they're cheap and perform very well for their price. I'm happy with them, just gotta clean my wheels more often lol

I don't think any set of good performance pads won't put out a fair amount of dust

·
Registered
608 Posts
Im not a huge believer is pads "making a huge difference". I think most performance pads are to decrease noise and brake dust. But the actual stopping power imo seems to be the same between any ceramic.
I have run both afvanced auto cheapo pads and hawks and really couldnt tell a major difference. My car is also a daily street driven car, ive never taken it to the track.

Just my opinions. But yeah hawks produce a lot of dust btw.

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
StopTech street performance pads also put out quite a bit of dust. However, they're cheap and perform very well for their price. I'm happy with them, just gotta clean my wheels more often lol

I don't think any set of good performance pads won't put out a fair amount of dust
My XXR's are a bee-otch to clean versus the Bullitt's I had on my old 01' haha
Im not a huge believer is pads "making a huge difference". I think most performance pads are to decrease noise and brake dust. But the actual stopping power imo seems to be the same between any ceramic.
I have run both afvanced auto cheapo pads and hawks and really couldnt tell a major difference. My car is also a daily street driven car, ive never taken it to the track.

Just my opinions. But yeah hawks produce a lot of dust btw.
Yeah I didn't notice any difference in power when I put my Hawks pads on versus stock. Seems to be more in the rotors for if you want real performance

·
Registered
343 Posts
Probably more noticeable on the track. The bite and the consistency of the brakes can feel slightly different with different pads. I've just always felt stock pads to be a bit mushier (but quieter!)

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed! I don't mind the stock brakes and since it's my DD. I just do the occasional pull down a back road, nothing crazy. Stock setup will do me, though I do plan to throw on some nice cobra rotors and pads one day when I can afford it!

·
It's supposed to knock
484 Posts
My last set were slotted/drilled with ceramics and they were crap when wet. I mean push and pray crap. Push the hell outta the pedal and pray it stops. But we're great when dry out. Anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmm, I had drilled and slotted rotors and they were fine. I now have slotted rotors, still stop perfectly fine in the rain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts