Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tensioner pulley is rubbing on my timing cover. It squeeks pretty bad when it hits and it more prominent when the motor is cold. I've tried replacing my tensioner and this helped a little, but it still squeeks very slightly. I know that this is what the squeek is because my timing cover actually has an indentation behind the pulley.

Has anyone else had this problem? what is causing this to happen and how can I fix it.

This is on an 01 so it's the single bolt tensioner style.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
You may need to add a thin washer behind it to clear the cover.

John

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have any problems with the stock tensioner for the first 80,000 miles with the car. Why would it start to be a problem all of a sudden?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. mines squealing really badly from tensioner side not sure if its rubbing or not. I will first change the belt then if that doesn't fix it then i'll replace tensioner and if that doesn't fix it then :mad:i'll light the car up and claim insurance

·
Registered
114 Posts
i had the same problem...i bought a tensioner from advance auto for like 40 bucks and put replaced it...but after a few days the sound came back...the guy at the shop then used some belt degreaser or something and that worked for a few days also...next step is the belt and if that dosent do it then it might be the power steering or ac pump says the guy there...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
lol superglue a small piece of sandpaper onto the pulley, so it can spin and create a groove that'll clear whatever it's hitting :tomato

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I didn't have any problems with the stock tensioner for the first 80,000 miles with the car. Why would it start to be a problem all of a sudden?
The tensioner arm may be tweaked a bit, the pulley bearing might have a little slop in it (though that should have been corrected when you replaced the pulley), etc.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol superglue a small piece of sandpaper onto the pulley, so it can spin and create a groove that'll clear whatever it's hitting :tomato
you say that, but the pulley itself has already made quite a mark on the timing cover. I never realized it was the actual tensioner squeeking b/c the blower is directly above it. I figured the idler pulley bearings were going out and replaced those first.

The tensioner arm may be tweaked a bit, the pulley bearing might have a little slop in it (though that should have been corrected when you replaced the pulley), etc.
I replaced the entire tensioner, not just the pulley. The squeek is MUCH better but is still there ever so slightly during initial startup.

Could I take some material off the backside of the pulley or would it be better to try to shim the tensioner out?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In all seriousness, it sounds a lot better to shim it out rather than take material off of anything lol

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Like I said, just slip a thin washer behind the tensioner and the rubbing on the cover should stop. Just maker sure the washer doesn't touch the part of the bearing that turns or the pulley will lock up once you tighten it. As far as your squeak it could be something else but at least this will help in figuring out what it is.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts