Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the autometer tach adapter for my car (she came with it) and I've been wanting to get a 5" tach for it since there are already holes in my a-pillar from a previous one, just when I started looking my buddy said his friend is selling a 5" APC tach, I have only seen pictures but I'm going to check it out tomorrow. This tach will work for my car right? Just cause the adapter is autometer doesn't mean the tach has to be, no? Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems logical to me. I just wanna make sure I'm not wasting money that's all, thanks for any input!:cool: Also is there any hardware I should be getting in the purchase or is the tach all I'll be expecting?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
yes it will work as long as its set up for 8 cyl.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
it will work just fine. the tach adapter just makes a usable signal for what ever is being hooked up to it. it doesnt matter what brand you run as long at it will set up for 8cyl.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
what they said...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the tach did not come from a mustang, I'm not sure what vehicle yet but it porbably wasn't even an 8cyl so is this a waste of money then?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Well the tach did not come from a mustang, I'm not sure what vehicle yet but it porbably wasn't even an 8cyl so is this a waste of money then?

No not a waste of money, normally when you buy a tach or a shift light it has two separate looped wires,If its a 8 you leave it be and if its a 6 you cut one wire and if its a 4 you cut both.I think one is orange and one is brown.Im not 100% as its been about 3 yrs since my last Tach install;)

Im sure you can check out autometers web page or give them a call to double check and if either are cut just hook em back up and your good to go.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
some tachs will have a switch on them to choose 4, 6, or 8 cylinders

1 - 7 of 7 Posts