Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just woneering cuz i found some on summit that are half price of the bbk lts. will they be just as good?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The quality may not be as up to far as bbk. Are the painted?

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
the basics are the same but i think with bbk your paying for the name to be stamped on and bbk's only work with a bbk midpipe unless you want to mod it

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Not All headers are equal. There is alot of design work that goes into the collector length and bends. Also, the quality of the steel they used, welds and coatings will make a big difference. BBK makes a good product, so does MAC. Anything cheaper is pretty sketchy.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Generally you want ceramic or at least stainless for longevity. Painted will generally flake off and begin to rust after time.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Sometimes they offer a smaller and larger size of primary tubes and the design/look may be different but there all going to serve the same basic purpose.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
they all serve the same purpose but there is a big difference in performance, fitment, and quality. Don't go cheap and get some pace setter headers that don't fit right and break in 6 months. you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree that i get what i pay for and i think the same way. just i dont have the money for $550 worth of just headers. not to mention the $350 mid pipe. the ones i was looking at were called flow tech or something to the sort. and they were painted. but i compared them to the bbks and the specs were the same, 1 5/8 primary with the adapter for the stock collector or something. not too sure just scrolled over it all to quickly compare.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
mac with thier pro chamber is what im looking at

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Honestly, the LT's are a pain to install. So if you plan on doing it your self, get a decent set that your sure will fit right. You don't want to get a rusted POS that is going to fall apart in a year or 2. Believe me it happens.

I think my headers cost me $350 without a ceramic coating. I would advise getting the coating, or puting some time into to painting them well with ceramic paint after you get them. Then for the mid pipe, you can use your stock one if you want to be really cheap and get it cut and welded in place. I had that for a while, not great, but it only cost me $50. Stays emissions legal too ;) . Or you can watch the e-bay and buy one off there. I got my Catted MAC H Pipe for $180. (I wanted catted for emissions)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, the LT's are a pain to install. So if you plan on doing it your self, get a decent set that your sure will fit right. You don't want to get a rusted POS that is going to fall apart in a year or 2. Believe me it happens.

I think my headers cost me $350 without a ceramic coating. I would advise getting the coating, or puting some time into to painting them well with ceramic paint after you get them. Then for the mid pipe, you can use your stock one if you want to be really cheap and get it cut and welded in place. I had that for a while, not great, but it only cost me $50. Stays emissions legal too ;) . Or you can watch the e-bay and buy one off there. I got my Catted MAC H Pipe for $180. (I wanted catted for emissions)
yeah i plan to paint them after i huy them. and i have been checkin ebay and stuff for one. gotta keep lookin

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
my friend's dad owns a metalshop. and he has a 69 el camino himself. Ceramic coating is the only coating that doesnt discolor like stainless does or chrome. its the best coating. but honestly in these cars you never see them so might as well get stainless or black painted.

and lol I have pacesetters on my jeep and had to hammer them a lil to fit. work great though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i would only have them painted so they dont rust thru. but were they way out of wack to put on?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Unless you are pulling the engine at the same time, headers are a bitch to put in...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha true. but i plan to put these on when i pull my motor to do all the other work

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Good luck!

and dont forget pics :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i definitely wont! pics will go up every day i get to work on it!

·
Registered
812 Posts
you could not pay me enough to try install LT's again, it was a zero fun install. Im glad I bought ceramic SLP LT's so that crap last a long time, I aint every replacing those dang things myself ever again too. but damn, was the sound worth every sec of the pain

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Header wrap aids in rust. Helps with sound and heat, but increases rust. I wouldn't do it unless this was a race application or ceramic ones (which you said you don't want). The best option is the ceramic, then chrome, then bare that you prep your self. The worst is an untreated set, the paint will flake and peel as soon as they heat up the first time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts