Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I traded a 96 tbird with a swapped 4.6 for a 96 2.4L sunfire(I'm really not proud of that. Its just a good car for work) and a wrecked 94 3.8 mustang.

I've heard people say they were pointless but others have also said it was a good way to go. I was just hoping for some clarification. These weren't the only mods I planned on or things that have been done, but I wanted to know if they would make that much of a difference in the long run.

I read the sticky on them and the possible gain, but I'd rather hear some opinions on how realistic the boost is from other people who've done it too.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
they aren't high on the mod list for performance...the CAI will let the engine get some extra air yes...but it is more for looks in a stock or nearly stock car....hell, i know heavily modded GTs that run just a drop in filter...

·
Attention Grabber
218 Posts
Yea CIA don't do too much other than letting the engine breathe better, little better exhaust sound, and of course you get rid of that ho ro bo looking stock intake!!

I would def suggest getting a good UDP, they would normally add somewhere to 5-11HP to the car, plus reduces drag some!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like I don't really need to the spend money on a CAI.

i checked out one of the earlier threads and it looks easy and pretty cheap to build one so I'll probably go that path instead.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
cai

I put a cold air intake on my v6. It gave my exhaust a little deeper sound...And i swear up and down that i got a tiny bit of horsepower.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i think the udps are def worth it they make a pretty big difference. and as far as the cai goes, they sound way better! i think. And idk i believe you gain some power. It sure felt like i had better throttle response when i put mine on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Idk I also put on the fiberglass intake hood and the engine's run a little cooler from the stock steel one.
Even if a CAI doesn't do much for horsepower, a cool engine is a happy engine. I've had the 3.8 heads pop in the past and that's hell to fix.

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
Think this through....

Where does the air in a stock V-6 enter the car?

Where does the air from a "tricked out cool ass $$ costin CAI" enter the car?

Now that you answered that, I think where it may help a little is a CAI usually provides a straighter, smoother and shorter path for the air from the "wheel well" to get to the TB. Also, depending on material, the CAI tubing may be more resistant to under the hood engine heat...but only slightly.

Where it really helps is when you take the K&N sticker and put it on the bumper for 10 extra horsepower.

·
Registered
138 Posts
o for sure the sticker is the best part haha

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
I tried changing my CAI when I first got my sixer but the Spectre one sold for "Universal" fit, wasnt that. Rattled.

If you happen to put any CAI next to the stock, the real different is in the section from over the wheel to the MAF. The opening for the stock is heavily constructed, roughtly 2'' then into the airbox. Some swear by CAIs...claiming they get 5 more HP and a marker difference in MPG. Some say they change the sound, some say its a myth. I say make up your own mind.

00redgt has a Spectra CAI filter and showed me pictures and Im gunning mine towards that. I dont think itll be a HUGE boost in performance, but itll help in the long run.

....looks cooler the the stock CAI too.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I cant say that adding a CAI to my sixxer improved any HP... but i WILL say it sounds nicer. It is kinda like a high pitched turbo-esque sound when you are in the mid range rpms, but It really doesn't affect the sound of your exhaust IMO.

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
I agree with the sound statements. In combination with a true dual setup and a tune, it adds to the sound.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
it does add some exhaust sound. it makes ur exhaust sound fuller. and as far as the performance increase if you look at it your stock one has that little rubber opening for air to go into the filter and then you have that ribbed tube that is bendy and the ribs slow the air down. I think it adds some throttle response and some hp not tons but some. if you think about it you are taking away the little restrictive rubber boot and adding a filter that can get as much air as it wants, and then you remove that ribbed intake and add a straight smooth one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts