Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought these cams from someone off of s197forum.com and was just wondering if these cams are f*cked up or if they can be used.

I ran my fingers across them and it doesn't seem that bad but it is definitely noticeable.

Tell me what you guys think.

Should I get my money back or should I just clean them up a bit? I think if I took my dremel or a file it would look fine then.

pics are a little blurry but you can still see the markings. And its on both cams so I am thinking that its just common wear?

Thanks for your help.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
I believe that is where the phaser or if you go with a lockout goes. You should be ok, if that is a cam support area I wouldn't use them cams. I can't recall which it is..

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
actully, I don't think there is anything in that area, the cam phaser doesn't slide that far back, and the first bearing surface isn't untill after that big wheel part of the cam..

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
hmmmm personally i'd want them perfect, but you may be able to clean the up. i however am not a professional.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do you guys think I should just clean them up a little bit? Like I said in my first post it is not bad at all and it looks like the phaser does go there.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
They look like pliers marks, maybe the guy who had them, used a channel lock on them to break/tighten the phaser bolt up??

If you use them, I would file them down and clean them up..

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Ya I would agree with the pliers theory, I would just clean them up a bit and use them. How much did you pay?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
yes, that is part of the phaser, the part of the cam that has the scratches is the portion in that pic right after the chain, and before the aluminum cap..

There is an exposed part of the cam there, and that looks like where your scratches are..

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Did you ask the seller about it? Who was the seller? How much did you pay? Did he tell you about the scratches?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$600 with 2 cam phaser bolts, free shipping and the guy took the paypal hit so I thought it was a good deal?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Who was the seller? If he didn't tell you about it than that's pretty shady. I'd like to know so I don't do business with him over there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you ask the seller about it? Who was the seller? How much did you pay? Did he tell you about the scratches?
No I did not contact the seller, but he told me their were scratches just from normal wear before I bought them. Other then these scratches the cams look brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
They are proly fine, that area of the cam doesn't touch anything, but I do think its a little crappy that he said the scratches are just from normal wear. I don't think it will affect much..

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i'd be pissed. that isn't normal wear. my stock cams when they came out were spotless on every area including where you show marks. i changed them out at around 35k. i would return them to the guy and if he won't do it get paypal involved. holy crap $600 for used damaged cams. i don't care if the marks aren't where it would touch anything they are still damaged and new bolts are cheap. personally wouldn't have paid that even if they weren't damaged.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are $800 cams new from Brenspeed.

I am not to worried about them because I already cleaned them up and they are fine.

Will be installing them in the next couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
If you've cleaned them up with a file or dremel, I'd recommend using emery cloth as the final step in polishing them for installation. I don't know if these are bearing surfaces or not, but emery cloth will put a good finish on them if the scratches aren't too deep.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If you've cleaned them up with a file or dremel, I'd recommend using emery cloth as the final step in polishing them for installation. I don't know if these are bearing surfaces or not, but emery cloth will put a good finish on them if the scratches aren't too deep.
Agreed. Hopefully he didn't remove any mass of material.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts