·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8.5" x 18" rim?

If so, please show me a few pictures of how that looks,
particularly side shots, like these:

I'm mostly interested in how much sidewall bulge there would be over
the 255/45/18's I'm running that are on the car in those pictures.

Spanks.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Zippydeedoodah,
I don't have any pics, but you only adding about 3/16" of tread on either side of the rim. I think it will barely be noticible. I wouldn't go much wider than that. You're less than an inch wider on either side of the rim. I'm an inch wider on both sides (rear). There is a little bulge but it doesn't look too bad on mine, but I got pretty good size tires. Let me know if you want to throw a pic up here so you can see what 1 inch looks like.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No answer to your Q, but I really like the graphics on your ride Zipmaster. Looks good.
Thanks dude :)

Zippydeedoodah,
I don't have any pics, but you only adding about 3/16" of tread on either side of the rim. I think it will barely be noticible. I wouldn't go much wider than that. You're less than an inch wider on either side of the rim. I'm an inch wider on both sides (rear). There is a little bulge but it doesn't look too bad on mine, but I got pretty good size tires. Let me know if you want to throw a pic up here so you can see what 1 inch looks like.
Thanks Boss.I would love to see your one inch bulge.

Please show it to me immediately!

do it nao

Oh and Zip, BFG doesn't make a 265/45-18 KDW.

Nitto makes a 265/50-18 though.
Wha aboot 275/45/18?

You!

So. Seeing as 265 ain't but a wee bit, 275 should ram right on there!

Even Timmay said it was so!

:bow

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Here is my 1" bulge. One thing that you have to take into consideration is that my sidewall is 5.4" tall and yours will be 4.87" tall, so the bulge will look more pronunced with a 1/2" less sidwall.

Reactions: TheUNZippee!

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Those are 305/45/18's (12.01" treadwidth) on a 10" rim, thus the 1" bulge. With the 275/45/18 your looking at a 10.83" treadwidth on an 8.5" rim, with a 1.17" bulge. So yeah, I have a smaller bulge than you, but I'm Asian.
Ha ha.
Again though you are also going to have a shorter sidewall which will make it look much more pronounced.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are 305/45/18's (12.01" treadwidth) on a 10" rim, thus the 1" bulge. With the 275/45/18 your looking at a 10.83" treadwidth on an 8.5" rim, with a 1.17" bulge. So yeah, I have a smaller bulge than you, but I'm Asian.
Ha ha.
Again though you are also going to have a shorter sidewall which will make it look much more pronounced.
That's awesome. Thanks for the great info man. Much appreciated :)

I bought you a present for giving me your one inch!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

:drool

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
That's awesome. Thanks for the great info man. Much appreciated :)

I bought you a present for giving me your one inch!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

:drool

Well it's a little bigger than a inch now buddy, thanks!

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Hey Zippee head,
You know I was driving to the bank and was thinking about our discussion, and the ripe redhead........, anyways, I think a 275 is just too wide for that rim, especially in the front. I don't have a problem running it in the rear because the way I drive, the rear of the car is kinda jumpy anyways. I think for the front, it is much more important to have the car track properly and I just think that tire will be squirming around a little bit more than you would probably like. And if you tend to drive with the same spirit I do, it might not be real safe either!
My suggestion is to get a wider rim, 8.5" is not that wide anyways. Or go with a really good set of narrower tires for the front, like Toyo T1R's or R1R's, and put whatever you want out back. Either way, I don't suggest putting 275's on an 8.5" rim.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Zip man,
I'm sorry. Somehwere during our conversation I got the idea that you were looking at 275's. My bad. All those numbers I gave you were wrong.

I actually have a bigger bulge than you! Ha haha ha ha haaaa.

Not much bigger and in my opinion it is still too big to run in front. It would be barely on the edge of the acceptable envelope. My bulge would be 0.0175" bigger than yours.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks dude.

Bossman, I am considering either a 265 or a 275. Some seem to feel the 275 will fit the 8.5 no problem, while others say nonono! That's a bad bad Zippy! :no

I could stay 255 as I am now, but since I need tires by spring, why not go wider, if possible.

My fronts are still 60%-ish. So they will be staying on for now. I just need to replace the rears, either 265, or 275. Whatever fits best and handles best.

I also need to make sure I maintain the proper overall outside diameter.

Getting a wider rim is not possible for a couple of years.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Zipster,
Yeah you can fit those tires on your rim but will it handle the way you want? Too big a tire on the rear will be OK if you don't mind the rear feeling a little skittish in hard turns. Like I said before I kinda like the car like that as opposed to fighting an understeer. I can drive out of a corner with the rear end bucking out, better than plowing through it like a tractor.
Anyways there are a couple of issues when you go too big of a tire. In many cases you actually may lose area in your contact patch with the road. With the sidewalls bulged out the edges of the tread will tend to pull up and you will be riding on the center of the tread only. You can compensate for that with lower tire pressure, but then you run into the issue of proper sidewall stiffness. Again, this is probably Ok in the rear but I wouldn't want to do it on the front.
Get the 265's or whatever for the rear and when it comes time to replace the fronts, stick with the 255's. It wouldn't be too much of a stagger or anything, but it does prevent you from rotating your tires.
Why do they have to be the same diameter? I like the way my set up looks; 255/45/18's up front and 305/45/18's in the rear. Gives it a kind of late 70's hot rod look.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts