Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got new tires to put on the back, so i was rotating them today before i took the wheels in to get the new tires put on, and some how the wheel lock key went missing. is there a way to rig something to get the locks off without the key so i can just put normal lugs on? (like stick something other than the key in it to get it off,) :(

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Get a Craftsman socket that's a LITTLE smaller than the locking nut. Take a hammer and pound it onto the locking nut. Then remove the socket/nut w/ a ratchet. When finished, return socket and exchange for a good one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont really care if i have to break the locks off, but i dont want to harm the studs.. :(

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Get a Craftsman socket that's a LITTLE smaller than the locking nut. Take a hammer and pound it onto the locking nut. Then remove the socket/nut w/ a ratchet. When finished, return socket and exchange for a good one.
Iv'e done that on some nuts with success, but it would be interesting to see if it can be done on a round lug nut.

I'd try flattening out two opposite sides with a metal file and putting some very tight fitting vise grips on it. I'm talking tight like you may need a large set of channel locks to get the vise grips to closer and lock.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yay! i found it. some how it made its way down the road... about 100 feet or so... :D

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Iv'e done that on some nuts with success, but it would be interesting to see if it can be done on a round lug nut.
I did it on the sock locking nuts that came w/ the car.

The "flower" pattern on the inside of the key sheared flat when I was trying to loosen one. I grabbed a socket, pounded it on, and removed it.

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
i had to file down two sides, and took a socket to it. bought one of my mustangs with wheel locks and they guy couldnt find the key. that being said, your lucky you found the key lol, it was a pain to do especially when you were late for work and had a flat tire

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah. im happy i found it, now i can go to the parts store and get 4 normal lugnuts to replace these dumb things. :D

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
yea, i got the lockers for my new rims i just ordered because i spent quite a bit on them and dont feel like buying replacements if they get stolen

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Yeah, they are definately worth it for aftermarket wheels. But if your just running stock I'd tosss em' in da trash.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you lose the one from the factory nuts you can go to a ford dealership and they have 10 or 12 and one of them should work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts