Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Those 2000 studs spec a much higher torque than the factory studs, they say to torque them to 100 ft-lbs in 3 equal steps and you have to use their special assembly lube on the nuts and washers.

No lube on the ends going into the block and just screw them in finger tight.

However if any of them are sticking up more than the others after screwing them in finger tight they aren't bottomed and you need to chase those threads so the stud will bottom.

I hope you don't have the problem I had with these studs, I was using them on a Boss 3.700" bore block and they were about 1/2" too long, the nuts didn't contact the heads, I had to shorten them.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
You should only torque head studs to 85lbs on a factory bore block

Big bore blocks are known for head sealing issues and because of that alot of people will torque them much higher... but in the end its a trade off because it distorts the cylinders and mains.

·
13,575 Posts
So many different answers here so I will add my piece, I called ARP directly because these are their bolts they told me 80-85FTLBS which is what i torqued those studs too and i run around 20PSI, and have made a few 25-26 PSI pulls.v as mentioned Do not over torque them as if will yield a negative result and be conter productive.

·
BumbleBee
1,054 Posts
Just call ARP. Don't go based on what a bunch of people on the internet tell you. ARP makes the things. Call them up, tell them what you have and do what they say.

Remember those guys are only people too, so make sure the guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but odds are their answer will be correct vs what you find on the interwebs. There are probably instruction sheets on their site too I bet.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yup, just use the instructions. That's what I did.

http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/256-4001.pdf

7. Lubricate the stud threads, nuts and washers with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY
LUBRICANT. Then install the washers and the nuts onto the studs and tighten them hand tight. ARP
recommends using the ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT that is provided with
each kit as opposed to motor oil. This is due to higher friction on the studs as well as inconsistencies
in the clamping force of the fasteners when motor oil or other low quality lubricants are used.

PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS

8. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts in three equal steps to 100 ft lbs
with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.

Note: 80 ft-lbs is for the 8740 material, 100 ft-lbs for the 2000 material.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Y2k02 so if I understand that article there is no advantage going with arp 2000 bolts. as being able to torquing to 100 ft lbs is the only way they are better than 8740., but 100ft lbs will distort the block.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Mihovetz is definitely the king of extracting huge HP from the stock bore 4.6 block but if you look at posts from guys running the 3.700" bore Boss block you'll hit some that solved head gasket sealing problems with that block by torquing the ARP 2000 studs to 100 ft-lbs and higher.

Another factor to consider is if you are using TFS heads they have a thicker deck surface, its claimed that there is no reason to exceed 85 ft-lbs with the stock heads because of their limited deck thickness.

If I was running on a stock bore block I'd torque them to 85 ft-lbs, on my Boss block I torqued them to 100.

I don't think the 15 lb difference is enough to cause significant distortion of the block.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts