Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 306 just built TFS track heat upper and lower, TFS heads, TFS stage 2 cam, stock crank and rods, just to name major parts. The car will not idle worth a damn, fluxuates anywhere between 700-2000 rpm's and terrible throttle response before you get to 3000 rpm's I've tried everthing new TPS, IAC, TPS reset at .98v adjusting idle screw, adjusting fuel pressure, it's now set at 35# with vaccum line off and plugged, timing set at 14-15*.

1. What does the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor do? could this cause an idle problem? It's the original.

2. EGR??? I have deleted all the smog components and blocked off the the EGR on the spacer and plugged the vaccum line. The car ran, with it's original engine with all of it gone except the EGR was still mounted and plugged in on the old set up. Is this correct setup???

3. Everything that I can think off has been tested or replaced, any help would be very much appreciated. Just about ready to say "to hell with EFI, let's go carb!!!"

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I have a 306 just built TFS track heat upper and lower, TFS heads, TFS stage 2 cam, stock crank and rods, just to name major parts. The car will not idle worth a damn, fluxuates anywhere between 700-2000 rpm's and terrible throttle response before you get to 3000 rpm's I've tried everthing new TPS, IAC, TPS reset at .98v adjusting idle screw, adjusting fuel pressure, it's now set at 35# with vaccum line off and plugged, timing set at 14-15*.

1. What does the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor do? could this cause an idle problem? It's the original.

2. EGR??? I have deleted all the smog components and blocked off the the EGR on the spacer and plugged the vaccum line. The car ran, with it's original engine with all of it gone except the EGR was still mounted and plugged in on the old set up. Is this correct setup???

3. Everything that I can think off has been tested or replaced, any help would be very much appreciated. Just about ready to say "to hell with EFI, let's go carb!!!"
i believe mass air car are suppose to have bap barometric air pressure sensor instead of a map senesor

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i believe mass air car are suppose to have bap barometric air pressure sensor instead of a map senesor
Can you tell me what it does?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Can you tell me what it does?
map=manifold absolute pressure (monitors the difference between manifold pressure and outside atmosphere,utilizes a vacuum hose)
the bap sensor replaced the map sensor,but its far from the same part.thats why its called a bap sensor and not a map sensor

·
Registered
146 Posts
i had the same problem with my car the problem was with the mass air meter check the plug somtimes the rubber inside the plug moves and does plug in all the way also the Mass sir could just be bad

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Its been a long time since I've messed with one of these cars, but if I remember right, the EGR should be plugged in even if it isn't connected to the TB. I don't think its a neccessity, but it will cause poor mileage which is probably because the car runs rich. I'm not sure if it will cause the problems you are having but it could be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
map=manifold absolute pressure (monitors the difference between manifold pressure and outside atmosphere,utilizes a vacuum hose)
the bap sensor replaced the map sensor,but its far from the same part.thats why its called a bap sensor and not a map sensor
No vaccum line on the bap sensor,correct. The one on my car dowen't have a vaccum line connected to it.
So I would have a bap sensor on my 93 LX vert 5 speed?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
No vaccum line on the bap sensor,correct. The one on my car dowen't have a vaccum line connected to it.
So I would have a bap sensor on my 93 LX vert 5 speed?
yes

·
Registered
685 Posts
maf sensor installed correct way (air flow arrow pointing the correct direction) I had a freind put his in backwards and it idled real bad.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got my car running a little better today, it only fluxuates between 1000 and 1500 rpm's. I left the neg cable off last night to reset the computer, so today I put it back on and take it down the road and ran good, parked it and pulled the codes KOEO, came up with 34 PFE (don't even know what this is) or EVP and code 85 fuel canister (which has been deleted) So I get the chilton manual and it shows me how to check the EVP and so I do read correctly from the harness end but when I checked it pluged in it read .75v and the manual said for it to be less than .67v could this be my problem???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts