Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as I posted here a while ago, I ended up breaking my 4R70W, probably a combination of the many miles on it and my rough driving. It started to slip in between 3rd and 4th, so I took it to a shop here in Airway called Rich's Transmissions. The car is still covered under the AUL warranty I bought with it, so I wasn't too worried about it, seeing as how I'd only have to pay $100 for a rebuilt tranny. Sounds good, right?

Well, heres where it all goes wrong. After the shop pulled the tranny and called the warranty company, they told me that I had to get a used tranny with 30k miles on it if I only wanted to pay the $100 deductible, and that if I wanted a new or fully rebuilt tranny then it would be upwards of $3k because it wouldn't be covered at all.

Obviously, I'm broke, seeing as how I'm trying to pay for college, so I told them go ahead and put the used one in, 30k miles really isn't that much. They then gave me an estimate that I would have my car back in 3-4 days, and by friday at the very latest. (This was last Tuesday.) After a week, I started getting antsy, seeing as how they hadn't called me about my car, so I went up to the shop to take a look and find out what was going on.

Turns out, AUL took their good old sweet time sending their USED tranny to the shop, and then once the shop got it, they found out it was BROKEN! The shop refused to install a busted transmission, as that isn't fixing my problem, and so they're fighting with AUL to get me a working tranny.

Needless to say, I miss the hell out of my car, it's my baby and I went through hell to get her. And then the fact that I shelled out $2000 cash at the time of purchase to buy this warranty that was SUPPOSED to be considered "full coverage" is now screwing me over has me very close to giving them a call and threatening them with legal action. Not sure if I can even do that, but I'm sure it would get them to quit dicking me around.

Not to mention. This is the SECOND time this warranty company has screwed me over. The first time was earlier this year, the PATS system stopped working and thought the car was stolen or something, I don't know the details, but either way they had to replace a bunch of stuff, and the warranty company decided they weren't going to cover ANY of it so I ended up eating the entire bill.

I really wish I knew more about my car so I could just fix it myself then have to deal with all this. :sorry It seems to me that the warranty company is taking complete advantage of me, I paid the money up front figuring that it would save my ass when things broke, and the only thing so far they actually did cover the cost of was to replace my heater core. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
My shop has to deal with different warranty companies all the time and its always a strugle. Non of them ever want to pay and in the end, usually, more time is waisted on the phone fighting the warranty company then actually repairing the car. Even thought the warranty companys are bastards, you cant place all the blame on them. The dealership that sold you the warranty are also to blame. Most of the time they dont care what it takes to get a sale, and lets face it, all a warranty really is, is a sales tool. The advice i always give my customers is not to buy the warranty. But dont feel too bad, weve all been there. Ive fallen for the warranty scam a time or two as well.

If this happen to me i would call the warranty company and complain and then i would go in person to the place that sold me the warranty and bitch to them. Raise some hell...after all, its the squeaky wheel that gets the greace.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Actually, you can cancel your warranty and get a portion of your money back. It's one of those prorated deals where they still get a good chunk of it and they will drive you crazy getting it cancelled and your money refunded, but it's worth the time and effort. I paid 1500 for my warranty when i got it and when i called to cancel they said the dealership had never turned in the paperwork and they didn't have me on file as a customer. I had to go rounds with the dealership, but once i told them I was filing a claim in small claims court for it the next day if i didn't get a response that night i got a call and they gave me the money back the next day.

I'm sure they have you on file as you have already submitted 2 claims and you will not get ALL your money back. But you'll still get some. I would let them get the tranny done then cancel and get a portion of your $2000 back.

Read your contract over carefully, especially the small print on the back about cancellations.

My wife cancelled a warranty years ago as well and got over $1100 back for a $1500 contract.

The bottom line is that they are screwing you over and you can let them know exactly how that feels. Once they pay to replace your tranny, Stick em' in da butt and get your money back!!!

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooooh I think I might do that.

**** with my time I'll **** with yours.

It'd be great to get some money back out of the warranty, especially if I get a new tranny beforehand. Considering they've already replaced the heater core and now the tranny, theres not much left that'd realistically break I couldn't reasonably pay for...right?

Unless you guys think I should get it to throw a rod and then get a completely rebuilt motor.....and THEN cancel the warranty :D

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Well, If they are replacing the tranny and have already done the heater core your looking at them having already lost money on you. So i'd just let them go after they finish up with the tranny. The longer you wait, the less your going to get back. And it depreciates the most at the beginning so the longer it goes, the more they get from your money.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Yeah, had one of those warranties on the Cobra, but mine paid off. Blew the tranny in it, and while it wasn't the simple $100 deductible, it was a LOT cheaper than if I hadn't had it. Basically, they were only willing to replace the actually busted parts, not do a full-proper rebuild, so I had to pay for the parts they wouldn't (labor was the same, so it was covered). Basically $700 for what was at least a $2k job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts