Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point, im undecided for this next project. All my mustangs have been 5spd's, and ive loved it. Im starting to think outside the box though. With alot of power on tap.. and Nitrous to further increase the insanity, would i be better off with an auto for daily use and track use? Ive seen soooo many comparisons.. track and dyno (i dont really rely on dyno numbers) and the differences dont really bother me at all. Im just curious.. for an honest 600hp N/A car, with Nitrous.. what would you guys do? This WILL be a street driven car, on a regular basis, and see track duty as often as possible. Automatic? Or 5 speed?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
this is kinda where im at trying to decide what i am gona do......id kinda like to build an aod because it was the overdrive gear where most of the racing auto dont.....but they are really heavy and suck up a lot of horsepower....i want the overdrive because my will definately be out on the street also.....5 speed will almost always be better on the street though.....its just that on the track with that much horsepower and a set of slicks and a good clutch i have heard its pretty easy to break a manual

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I used to think autos were better at the track, but after seeing some people do the swap, they always lost a tenth or two to trade off for consistency and then the car was no more fun on the street.

If you are building a bracket racer and need consistent times, get an auto or a proshifted manual. If you are building a car that will see predominantly street miles there is no substitute for a 5 or 6 spd.

Also, have you considered a CVT...lol.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
is there any difference in the TKO 600 and the TKO 500 besides the 600 holds more power

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, im a little concerned with the "fun factor" on the street with an auto.. and im really not concerned with consistancy, because who needs to be consistant in a street car? No worrys there. I see alot of fast auto cars, and wonder if its the right thing to do with this kind of power. All the really fast cars ive driven were actually autos (Torino, Falcon, Nova, Ventura) They were all track cars, but still autos. I figured because ive had so much success driving those cars.. and they were fast, maybe an auto would suit this next project a little better. Im still all about 5 speeds though.. maybe im just ranting. :confused:

Ryan >

What is a CVT? Im really slow today.. im not catching this...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its gonna depend on what you want as usual. If you have serious power and care more about a track car then I would get an auto with a great tranny, gears and torque converter. The street fun is still there but the 5/6 speed owns on the street. Your call-Shane

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I always like watching the sleds at the drag strip.

They blast redline all the way down the track...it'd be awesome if someone made a CVT for rear wheel drag cars.

·
Marine Corp Badass
58 Posts
At this point, im undecided for this next project. All my mustangs have been 5spd's, and ive loved it. Im starting to think outside the box though. With alot of power on tap.. and Nitrous to further increase the insanity, would i be better off with an auto for daily use and track use? Ive seen soooo many comparisons.. track and dyno (i dont really rely on dyno numbers) and the differences dont really bother me at all. Im just curious.. for an honest 600hp N/A car, with Nitrous.. what would you guys do? This WILL be a street driven car, on a regular basis, and see track duty as often as possible. Automatic? Or 5 speed?

I WOULD GO AUTO...I KNOW SOMETIMES U MIGHT WANT TO GET IN AND JUST STEP ON IT AND GO DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MISSING GEARS AND OTHER THINGS

·
Registered
423 Posts
caps man caps

is there any difference in the TKO 600 and the TKO 500 besides the 600 holds more power
and yes the TKO 500 has a higher first gear then the TKO600

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
It depends. Once you get up in the horsepower range you are going to need a faceplated or dog ring trans. When the horsepower gets high shifting gets trickier. A good manual trans (something you can shift without the clutch) is usually faster than an automatic. When you are looking at T5s, Tremecs, etc that have syncros and are street transmissions they are not going to be faster than a good automatic unless you have the wrong converter. Their is a reason why you see alot of fast cars with TH400s and Powerglides instead of manual transmissions. Its not because they are trying to be consistent its because they hold the power and get the car down the track. As far as being fun on the street, you need to drive a high horsepower car with a C4, manual valve body and good converter on the street and then tell me its not fun.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
your rear tires have a lot to do with how your car runs , with slicks it doesn't really matter but if you are running dragradials and have a lot of power it's gonna be really tricky leaving with a stick, but with an auto it's much easier to plant the power ( i know you shouldn't base a trans decision on tires but it's something to think about ) 11 and 12 sec cars would probably be faster with a stick and competent driver but once you start running in the 10s an auto will probably be faster more times then not

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
It depends. Once you get up in the horsepower range you are going to need a faceplated or dog ring trans. When the horsepower gets high shifting gets trickier. A good manual trans (something you can shift without the clutch) is usually faster than an automatic. When you are looking at T5s, Tremecs, etc that have syncros and are street transmissions they are not going to be faster than a good automatic unless you have the wrong converter. Their is a reason why you see alot of fast cars with TH400s and Powerglides instead of manual transmissions. Its not because they are trying to be consistent its because they hold the power and get the car down the track. As far as being fun on the street, you need to drive a high horsepower car with a C4, manual valve body and good converter on the street and then tell me its not fun.
To some extent it will depend on the power band of the engine since a converter can help the engine get up in rpms quickly, but converters also loose energy and manuals are more efficient at putting the power to the ground. Power doesn't effect shifting, but high rpms will make it hard to shift. Liberty tranmissions can faceplate a T5 or a TKO for $500. G-force sells dog-ring T-5s with upgraded gears. You don't have to have synchros just because the trans came like that from tremec and these are still very streetable transmissions.

I've never driven an auto that I liked, I guess I am a control freak.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts