Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, its me again... :eek:

So thanks to many of you, i decided to go with the trickflow 2v's + cams + juice. (for now, until i can afford a forged bottom end)

Now, here's another question :eek: lol..

Im an auto, and its not a healthy one, it has its issues.. and when i bought the car i immediately took it to get tranny service + fuel filter and what not..

ANYWHO, the guy told me the tranny was pretty tired (i'm talking about a 2000 GT) still drivable and cool and all.. no "trouble" so far except, sometimes it hessitates to shift from what im guessing 3rd to 4th or something like that... NOW my question though, is...

Should i put in a t56? or rebuild or upgrade its stock auto tranny?

Any good PI kits for auto trannys out there? any ideas on which converter should i use? or how much dough would i need to spend on a used t56 plus parts plus install?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mucho thanks!

:cool:

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
stay auto.

rebuild and throw a shift kit, stall and tune on that bitch!

4R70W are godo trannys I love mine! it is tuned and shifts like a mother ****er!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I swaped to manual and it only cost $900 bucks. He is correct with the 4R70W being an awsome trans and when built is better than any manual however, I swaped because Manual is more fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stay auto.

rebuild and throw a shift kit, stall and tune on that bitch!

4R70W are godo trannys I love mine! it is tuned and shifts like a mother ****er!
awesome, less money and work! haha

but, what do you mean by rebuild? like.. buy new stock parts? and what exactly is a shift kit.. , and would a 3.5k conv be best?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yeah stock it fine...after market clutch plates maybe.

shift kit firms up shirts. The faster an auto shifts the less heat it creates. heat in the number one killer of autos. Get a tranny cooler too...cheap part.

3.5k stall should be ok...look in to Pecision Industies for a multi disc---they lock up for effectively

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
yea i would suggest staying auto as well because you can mod an auto to be faster than a stick. but if your just looking for the "fun factor" of driving a stick then i say go for it.
+1 on the rebuild

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
depends on what you want to do. Auto is more consistent than a stick, not neseccarily "better" for stright line. It is possible to outdrive an automatic tranny, but you have to be DAMN GOOD! If auto is what you decide on you could upgrade to a nicer tranny. Upgrade or not you definitely wanna get a stall and shift kit. If you go manual you have to consider what you want the car to be, just as you would to make a good decision for the auto tranny choices. Personally, i think a built T-45 is better than a T-56 for most people. For most people all a T-56 means is one more shift that wouldn't otherwise be needed. A T-56 is great if you can take full advantge of a six speed.

Where do you see the car in 5 years? What do you want to do in the end? you need some picture of an end goal before you can really make a sound decision on something as big as a tranny.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
if you hardly do to the track idk if I would suggest a stall

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did you work on your tranny yourself Scott? Im an auto as well and well i wanna upgrade my tranny and i dont wanna spend money for someone to do it for me. haha

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
haha naw man...auto tranny's are pretty involved. A LOT of practice to rebuild thoughs right.

I try to learn as much as I can about them though from here(casperGT) and 330 and such

·
Registered
37 Posts
auto definately the way to go if you know them there are many tricks of the trade that can be done to a stock auto tranny that while make it feel and shift like a beast simple as opening oil passage ways changin a few springs out for one with different tensions if you find one who knows the ins and outs of a tranny it would help... goto a shop or tech somewhere and say hey look i have this case of beer and a 50 wanna helpm, have him over drink half the beer and do half the workand your set good tranny for half wat he was expecting

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
do thing there is an auto in that car 330...to tame it down :lmao

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im sticking with the auto, looks more promising lol..

Hey guys but, seriously though... my tranny right now is like hesitating to shift from 3rd to 4th what in the world could that possibly be? what usually regulates that?.. feels slugish too... but like i said, its been like that since i bought it.. i just need to pull that tranny out and see whats up.

Reactions: 330CubeGt

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
the clutchs plates may be worn out and not engaging quckly and or well.

get a rebuilt or tune or shift kit and see if that helps...
how many miles again?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh, 80k...
but hold on hold on, is getting it rebuilt the same as a shift kit? or is it a completely different thing where i would have to rebuild, add shift kit, converter and tune?

Any brand or model suggestions? :D

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
oh, 80k...
but hold on hold on, is getting it rebuilt the same as a shift kit? or is it a completely different thing where i would have to rebuild, add shift kit, converter and tune?

Any brand or model suggestions? :D
Normally when you get a tranny "rebuilt" That's talking the internals like clutches,bands,Stub shafts etc.

That and the Shift kit are two totally different things.

A Shift kit is only about $100-$120

I went with a Fair Banks shift kit i believe i got it for $109.

Here is one i found for $99 on Ebay.

FORD AOD-E / 4R70W, Fairbanks HP Shift Kit (M-A76171E):eBay Motors (item 320186440749 end time Nov-11-09 14:44:48 PST)

Came with billet aluminum pistons and Everything you need,Drill bits,Instructions etc.There are 3 Different stages.
Heavy Duty,Street/Strip,Full Competition.

Special tools are normally required but i managed to do it with some basic snap ring pliers and other basic tools.Most of the work goes on in the Valve body with a hole needing to be drilled and stock springs swapped out for stiffer springs etc etc. Basically everything is accessible from under the Pan You don't have to go inside the tranny where the clutches/bands etc are.

Here is a Write-up on a AODE which is very similar to the 4R70W.
Installing a Shift Kit

Check this out also...
Torque Converters Explained | ::TECH ARTICLES:: | 100% 94-04 Mustang Tech, Articles, Help | SN95Mustangs.com

Hope my Rambling on helps!!!

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
IMO it depends on if you want a fun street car or a lethal track car.. manual trans is a hell of a lot more fun on the street.. fun on track too. but the auto takes away the miss shifting... but if you have the money to build your auto (stall, shift kit) then keep the auto.
but if you really plan on putin some power to the ground maybe consider a c4 trans....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I didnt think there was a "real" shift kit for the 4r70w...thought the most done for the 99-03 (done from factory in 04) was to do the j-mod. Then set the shift firmness through a tune.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts