Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I haven't been on in a while since I sold my 04 GT in May. But I'm about to pick up a 1990 GT on Friday and I'm pretty excited. But there is an issue. The trans will pop out of gear when you get on it. It does this in all gears (except neutral/park of course). You kinda have to drive like a granny. My only thought on this is that the shifter cable is worn and needs replaced. Other then that the car is cherry. It should be the cable right? Or anything else I should look at as well?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
With an AOD it could be anything. Does it grab the gear again when you let off the gas or does the engine just rev?

·
Drunk On Arrival...
1,083 Posts
Doesn't sound all that healthy...I would keep looking for a 5speed fox if I were you.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Yeah, sounds like low on fluid. What happens if you pull it down into low, does it still lose the gear?

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll grab when you put it back in gear but as soon as you give it a little oomph it pops out again. I'll try tossing a little Lucas in there and see if that helps. Carver, I have to get an auto so my wife can drive it while I'm deployed. It sucks, but at least I'm getting back into a mustang finally.

EDIT: just spoke to the seller. He said a mechanic told him the TV cable needs replaced. Ive never heard of a TV cable. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
You mean the gearshifter actually moves up into N when you step on the gas? I had that problem in an early 70's Ford truck with a C6. I had to hold the shifter on the column in D,2 or 1 when I stepped on the gas to keep it from flying up into N. Drove it like that for years.

Funny how the seller forgot to mention that before the sale.
I don;t know much about the AOD but could you disconnect the TV cable and take it for a spin?

EDIT: For people stumbling across this post later. Do not disconnect the TV cable and drive the car like I suggested, see comments below.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
NO! Do NOT disconnect the tv cable, itll fry the trans in a few miles. The tv, or throttle valve, cable tells the trans the position of the throttle blade. You didnt answer my questiin, if you put in low by moving the shifter completely rearward as far as it will go, does it still go out of gear?

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't gotten a chance to test that out. I don't pick the car up until Friday. Does it sound like it would be the tv cable?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
nxcoupe is right on the money. NEVER drive with the tv cable disconnected. Happened to me once when the tv cable bushing popped off the tb on my way to work. That $10 bushing cost me $2200.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so I don't need to worry about this issue. I'm picking up a rebuilt AOD with a shift kit for 100 bucks on saturday.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Stock rebuild with a shift kit probably. If it was done with all new parts you should be ok for a while...as long as it wasnt beat on. Does it come with a convertor?

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could get the converter for an extra 100 bucks but this won't be a track car for another 2 and a half years (no tracks in Hawaii), plus that would be hell for my wife.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Doesn't sound all that healthy...I would keep looking for a 5speed fox if I were you.
Carver, I have to get an auto so my wife can drive it while I'm deployed. It sucks, but at least I'm getting back into a mustang finally.
I thought it was kind of a dumb statement to say in the first place. You didn't ask about a 5 speed...:screwy:

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trust me, get a converter!! I had one on my old Fox and it woke the car up along with gears. Good luck!
I'll think about it. This guy has a bunch of other stuff too. Rebuilt p&p gt40p heads, gt40p tubular intake, a bunch of other stuff too. All for 850.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts