Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A track near me is holding an autocross and i was thinking about running it. But i was wondering if the Stock Gt is good enough. Will it hold up without breaking down? Will it be competitive? It is a heavier car compared to others.

AMEC Autocross Event

Here is the link with the rules reg.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hmmm. Not sure what to tell you here. This is what you will find.

Your torque powered stock mustang will spin the tires like you never expected in a low speed auto cross. The heavy car with stock suspension will feel like you are driving a boat down around corners and the explosive tendency of the 4 link will make hard turns plus torque very likely to spin you out.

All that bad mouthing aside. Your mustang is actually a decently quick car stock. The stock suspension is easy enough to power over and keep neutral and the weight of the car is decently taken care of by the torque of your engine at low speeds. Also the long gears make it easy to make up some advantage on shift time. So overall, the mustang won't be bad, it will be good. And when you finish you will come back and probably read the entire suspension guide to figure out your next step. Mustangs are quick but in stock form, very muscle car grocery getter to drive, but decently quick over all.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i wass thinking about the torquieness also what other competetion would i have 2.5L and up all stock lol no ones gonna bring a vette. proolly old camaros n firebirds.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Even if they did you wouldnt have to worry much about them....they would be in the same "boat" no pun intended. Lol

You need to worry about stock STI's and 300ZX's.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The STI is 2.5 I believe, and the 300zx is a 3.0L TT car stock (the best model).

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
I did autoX with my GT this year. I was only a second or two behind my friends lancer evo. I tended to "drift" the corners though, not intentionally it just sorta happend. it was a lot of fun, i plan to do it again.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
yeah, you will definitely have a tendecy to drift corners. The wrx's and evo's handle well and have decent power througout the powerband. So they are pretty good, and the 300 zx's same deal. Most are not TT though, only a few come that way. The issue you will have compared to them is the wrx's and evo's are more powerful stock and awd so they don't lose traction. And the 300 zx is not more powerful but it is more neutral handling, so it turns better.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did autoX with my GT this year. I was only a second or two behind my friends lancer evo. I tended to "drift" the corners though, not intentionally it just sorta happend. it was a lot of fun, i plan to do it again.
did you break or wear anything out?

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
did you break or wear anything out?
Nope. I got around 50 to 60 passes at the race track (25 on slicks). And did one autoX event this year. No problems at all.

I love this car

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
One event no but if you get into it like me you will burn tires and brakes so it will cost a bit over time. Should not have any mechanical failure

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I am not the Good Reverend, but I play him on the forums :shiftyeyes

We have been to a whole bunch of AX events this year and is a blast. See the Auto-X section for lots of posts from the few of us on this site that actually AX their rides :tomato

OP.... don't worry about anything on your ride other than just being a safe one. Make sure the battery is tight, tires are in good condition, all the lug-nuts are in place and such. You will have to go through a tech inspection and need a helmet (may be able to borrow one at event). AX is a driver-mod endeavor, so go learn about your cars limits and MORE importantly.... YOUR limits as a driver. Don't try to beat anyone, don't try to go faster or compare your ride to another and think you should be the same time through the course. I have seen plenty of average every day Volvo's beat me by a couple seconds on A/S radials!

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The AX we used to go to, there were 3 cars that just murdered everyone every time. A triumph spitfire, a turbo civic and a 1986 bmw 325i. The BMW was the fastest and it was a done out wide body monster. All of them were old salts though, hard to beat a dude who has been driving his monster for the last 10 years.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are auto trannies ever used in auto crossing? My GT is an auto but i feel i'd be at a huge disadvantage with it compared to a normal 5 speed. I've never been to one and don't know much about them so i have no clue if people run with them or strictly stay with manuals.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You could but I think you would be a large dissadvantage. Your auto is not going to downshift which will hurt your times, And the auto is going to make it harder to get on the power after braking. It will work but you will not be at nearly full potential.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts