Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 cobra that im swapping an aod into. i know ill need a flex plate torque converter i need to know what else i might need, and the length of the shifter cable if anyone knows

thanks

(420 lbft of trq and wc t-5 equals BOOM)

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
<cough>T56</cough>

Cobras shouldn't have autos ;)

Are you doing AOD, or AOD-E? If it's the -E (or a 4R70/4R70W), you'll need the ECU and whatever wiring goes to the tranny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i plan on running in 7.0 class and i cant bracket race with a t56 of any manual as well as i can with an automatic
and its an aod no electronics needed

·
Registered
111 Posts
is the wiring harness the same?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,432 Posts
If you're building your Cobra only for bracket racing, I suggest you go for a built AOD from Lentech. Yes, you'll need the flexplate and TC (get an upgraded higher stall version of that) and you'll also need the TV cable. To make the TV cable work properly you'll need to convert to a Fox throttle body/upper intake set-up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you are not driving it on the street much i would go with a built c4. will be equally as strong and is lighter and will take less power to turn it then an aod.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,432 Posts
A built C4 would be a good choice if the car is never going to cruise on the highway. It's much lighter than the AOD.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
go over to Click Click Racing and talk to dan (silverfox) he can tell you everything needed and he can build/get you the parts to build your aod to hold 700-1000HP

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
2 of my friends have ran stock C4s with a good stall to low 7s in the eighth on 175 shot , Ive never seen a stock AOD do that
Is that because they blow up, or because they eat too much power?

My understanding is that the AOD is an FMX with OD, and that the FMX was the medium-duty transmission used in the 60s/70s between the light-duty C4 and heavy-duty C6. Based on that, I would think the AOD stronger. BUT, that's just theory and conjecture, not based on any actual experience with pushing either tranny to the limit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the aod i have is built for 900hp 700trq no breaking that one i have a 3600 stall and i plan to drive this car alot so overdrive is a must

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and im 20 years old ive spent all my life savings and more this car to get the motor right so now im in the process of breaking and rebuilding my drivetrain... sorry cobra purist... but the ultimate plan for my car is a 400rwhp all motor 347 that revs to 8000 rpm with a irs out of an 03 04 cobra and a t56... track day car

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
8000 grand huh? and 400 on a stroker is ok but with the right combo you should make more and not have to go near 8000 rpms. What mods do you have now?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
and im 20 years old ive spent all my life savings and more this car to get the motor right so now im in the process of breaking and rebuilding my drivetrain... sorry cobra purist... but the ultimate plan for my car is a 400rwhp all motor 347 that revs to 8000 rpm with a irs out of an 03 04 cobra and a t56... track day car
If that's your ultimate goal, why swap an auto in it now? And why would you want the IRS, when you could have a 3-link setup that's stronger, lighter, AND handles better?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts