Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting some research on swapping my auto tranny to a manual in my 97 GT. Just trying to get an idea of what it will take.
For starters:
Clutch petal and master cylinder(unless it is cable operated).
Brake pedal
Flywheel and new clutch (of course)

Are there any 6-speeds that will hook up to the 4.6?
And are there any other problems I will run it to like ECM connections and whatnot?

Steve

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
the stang trannys are cable, and companys do make the 6 speed for the GT, id have to look into it, i know cjponyparts.com sells the T56 but i know one company makes a different one to, you need a different drive shaft for the 6 speed, maybe even just for a manuel im not sure, you will need to tune the motor, and maybe do some wiring harness changes, def clutch and flywheel, fork for the throwout bearing, throwoutbearing itself, shifter, theres quite a bit involved in the swap actually and i beleive theres more to it as well, and no master cylinder, its a cable clutch setup on stangs, im sure you can put a master cylinder on if you really want to

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I could research and prepare as much as possible and still run it to something unexpected. But hey, thats what makes it fun huh. This project will most likey happen whenever I have to pull the motor or tranny for whatever problems they may come up in the future.

So there is no factory 6-speed for the 4.6?
I was hoping I could find one in a junkyard I could rebuild. (I know, I'm cheap)

Steve

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ya i thought about this too but the thing is that if want to sell your car again i think the value of it is going to be less than it was a factory auto but if your going to keep it GO FOR IT!:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had 3 cars in my life and still have all 3. They all start out as my everyday driver, then when I get a new car, the old one rotates to my hot rod. Right now my Mustang is my everyday driver. So something will have to break or go bad for me to do any modding or swapping on it.
I have a Nissan hardbody I am rebuilding the motor and tranny on. This thing will be a torque monster. And I have a 82 Corolla Hatchback that I am building into a pony stock for circle track racing.
I try and stay away from the shops. If I don't know what I am doing with a certain project, I learn through trail and error.

Will the T56 hook up to the 4.6? I thought Cobras had a 5.0

1 - 8 of 8 Posts