Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i have no idead about this i just want more information on how this thing works i just say a video of a gt500 with a automatic transmition.
<i want something like this in my auto gt when i get it supercharged whats the process or something its a 4r70w transmition from what i understand but how does it shift like that

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i gonna be my project on the car i was gonna convert it into a roush get the s/c all that the kit for the body and the interior seats ect what do yall think

·
Registered
646 Posts
looks like a ratchet shifter ... which TCI makes one for our auto trannys i got one and love it. it works by a ratching motion with poistive stops so you dont slip into the next gear or reverse or nutrel on accident im not sure how to link videos on here but heres the link the the main company who makes them and if you search you tube for TCI Ratchet Shifter there are a few videos on there of it in use
TCI Auto: StreetFighter® ‘05-’08 Ford Mustang Ratchet Shifter
I added a hurst ball to mine

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If it is a 4r70w, that's what we had in our car (sold the 4r to 05mustang_KB about a month ago). The 4r we had was a full manual valve-body with transbrake and electronic overdrive. Pic of it in the car

Only has 3 forward race gears (electronic overdrive allows you to drive highway speeds without burning it up). You have to change gears like a manual but the clutch is gone. The little red button on top of shifter is the transbrake (used for reverse and dragstrip launches)

You won't see many 4rs on daily drivers. They are built to withstand wheelie launches at the strip and 1000+ hp. With a new street tune with 93 octane at high boost and the 4r, my mate went from a previous best of 11.8 to 10.3 @ 137 in the 1/4, the first time out with his new automatic transmission. He dropped an insane 1.5 seconds with his new street tune and 4r, and launching off idle (traction issues with Drs). He had no rollbars but now is faced with caging the thing, since the car is 9s capable.

We decided to go with a 2 speed powerglide (GM product), since our car is no longer street-driven.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is the stock auto transmition the best or is there a better one out there its gonna be my dd but i sitll want a strong transmition.

·
Registered
646 Posts
IIRC the stock tranny is good for about 600hp so unless your gonna build the motor and get blown you should be good with the stock tranny

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I wouldn't push a stock auto past 400 hp.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That car in the video has a full manual valve body, so it doesn't shift itself anymore. If you want it like that, I don't know if they make manual vbs for the 5r55. And I doubt it'd be worth it to you to convert to a 4r70 on a street car.. But like anthony said, that trans may need to be beefed up once you have a blower.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
This is a short in-car vid of Lance (driver mod) using the 4r70 at the strip. It's pretty old...not sure car was going 10s by then or not....but you can get an idea of the benefit of just 3 speeds (2 gear changes...you cannot miss a gear)

video :: racecam video by forensicsteve - Photobucket

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do plan on boosting my gt some how not sure s/c or turbo yet so what would be the path i want to take. i was gonna get headers and cams or would tha be a waste of money

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
First you need to figure out what you're going to do with the car and than make those choices.

Cams are going to need to be chosen per the application. If you're going to get a turbo than longtubes are kind of out of the question.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have seen so much good things from both sides. if i would go s/c would be a roush but if i got turbo it would be the helion kit. still tring to decided what could i get done to the engine that wouldnr really affect the outcome but still make me perform better

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
powerhouse you say hmm gonna have to check them out. the stock auto tranny can take up to 500hp right

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Here's their website.

PowerHouse411

I don't know about 500 rwhp. I'm sure there are plenty of people with 500 rwhp that have a stock transmission holding up fine. I bet there are a lot of people who have 500 rwhp and their stock transmission is losing 3rd. It's all about how you use it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts