Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so thanks to a lot of people on MM, i decided a long ass time ago that im for sure getting a fox body GT. ive fallen in love with these beauties. and for a long time ive been deciding between stick shift and auto transmission. i originally had plans about getting the car, slapping on some basic bolt ons, and either getting an s/c or a turbo. this plan went along with me getting a stick shift, and getting a tremec (i think thats wat its called. if anyone can explain wat it means i'd be most appreciative =]). but now that its coming down to the time of me almost getting my fox (hopefully sometime in May) it's got me thinking about auto vs. manual. from all my friends that drive stick and from everything ive seen, it looks like a lot more work than its worth. no human can shift as fast as a computer, yet manual throws all the cars power into the gear that ur in. idk, any insight on the matter would really help me out. as always, pros and cons of both and straight up comparisons would be helpful =] THANKS GUYS!!

ComiTheHomie

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I think the best advice that can be given in your situation, is to drive both and see which one you like more. This is really based solemly on your personal prefferance more than anything else. Both can be super fast and fun.. but only you can decide which is right for you.

My personal preferance is 5-6 speed manuals. I think if you like driving, and enjoy the pleasure of a powerful car, you will lean towards the 5-speed.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Stick for sure. More fun factor and an Auto vs. a Stick, stock for stock.. the Stick will win hands down every time hands down. Much faster, unless you are doing some serious bracket racing and need consistent time slips, I would do stick.

Tremec is a company that makes aftermarket Transmissions such as the TKO and various other models. They are made to withstand more power than the stock transmissions, which tend to be a weak link in these cars when you start to make good power with them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do LOVE driving lol. =] me and myeleanor were supposed to go to Europe over the summer, but it got canceled. so instead of that we are doing a road trip as soon as i get my fox. btw hows the gas mileage on foxes? so 5 speed would be more enjoyable for longer trips, which is wat im planning on doing. thanks for the input goblin =]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tremec is a company that makes aftermarket Transmissions such as the TKO and various other models. They are made to withstand more power than the stock transmissions, which tend to be a weak link in these cars when you start to make good power with them.
thanks =]

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Gas mileage isnt horrible, a stock 5.0L mustang, with a 5 speed would be in the 22-23mpg range.. and thats for highway. Ofcourse, depending on your drving habbits, the economy could be different, those are just generalistic numbers.

Obviously for long distances comfort is most important, and alot of people will argue that an automatic is the most comfortable for driving long distances. Contrary to most opinions, a 5 speed can be just as comfortable... like i said before, its all about you and your preferances. Its difficult to distinguish the pros and cons of both auto and manual, because they might be different from one person to the next. This is simply because both styles of transmissions suit people in different ways. If you like driving, i would agree that the 5 speed is your best choice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well since my speeding ticket i pretty much keep it under 80. im usually going between 70 and 75. 75 if im feelin ruthless hahahaa. theres just 2 many cops in So Cal, but im not sure about the long open highways. im sure we're gonna be blazin the trails once we get out of the cop infested area.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
One thing that I didn't see that should probly been brought up is that for about 175$ you can put a short through shifter in your manual tranny and with practice you can shift as fast if not faster than an auto, and you have complete controll over how high or low your rpms will be in a gear with a stick

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the best advice that can be given in your situation, is to drive both and see which one you like more. This is really based solemly on your personal prefferance more than anything else. Both can be super fast and fun.. but only you can decide which is right for you.

My personal preferance is 5-6 speed manuals. I think if you like driving, and enjoy the pleasure of a powerful car, you will lean towards the 5-speed.

I agree,I think that it needs to be your preference. I like the AOD. I live in the hills though & a stick just gets old after awhile.I have both but I drive my auto more.often

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
an auto with a well built valve body and a good stall is my vote.....

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stick for sure. More fun factor and an Auto vs. a Stick, stock for stock.. the Stick will win hands down every time hands down. Much faster, unless you are doing some serious bracket racing and need consistent time slips, I would do stick.

Word for word true. But...stock is short lived. An auto with the rite gears, torque converter and built tranny is deadly with the rite amount of power behind it. The fun fact is gone IMO on the street though. If its gonna be a high hp car made for the track then auto, if its both get a manual.-Shane

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all ur help guys. this has been really useful in my decision making. i always get the best advice on here, cause people know their ****, and arent afraid to back it up =] but keep the posts coming hahaha. still havent made the final =]

·
Registered
822 Posts
5 speed makes me drive alot faster than nessesary my car was auto wen i got it and i dipped around but now its a 5speed and with the stick i bomb around for no reason watsoever. i have little self control and manual trans equipped cars. but 5 speed is alot funner all around except for traffic which blows.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
5 speed for cars running 12s or slower, auto for faster cars, yes i know you can run 11s and quicker with a stick ( i used to have a mid 11 sec capri with a stick ) but the car won't be as reliable, a stick is harder on driveline components whereas an auto is much easier ( i've got stock axles in my 10 sec notch ) btw here's something to consider a manual valve automatic, you have to manually shift it up and down just like a stick, it's almost as fun as a stick except there is no clutch to push in ( no missing gears ) just something to think about

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Here are two cars from my garage with mostly stock T5 transmissions.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
^ omg that red and black mustang was so cool and what it was racing :O

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Tremec is also the company that makes the stock T-5 which, yes can be a weak link, but can also be built to take 500 plus HP. I think stick is the way to go, but i just like banging the gears.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, so ive had a brilliant thought, (or at least i thought so lol). wat are ur guys opinions on an AOD with a shift kit? would that match up to a stick shift with a short throw shifter? or does it at least have somewat of a fighting chance? or is that not a good idea at all? and on an aod with a stick shift, do i have to shift all the time, or am i able to treat it like a regular automatic and just stick it in D and cruise?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts