Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just got a autometer monster tach, tach light and Frpp tach driver
i bought them used and have no idea how to install them. as far as the tach driver where is it wred to? under the dash or under the hood? and what wire do i splice into? where are they and what color to what color? pics would be A GREAT help!
Thanks!!

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
go the the main wiring harness under the hood, ie the black box with a bolt thru it on the top left corner in your hood, undo the wire wrap around it and look for a thicker red wire, i think it has a white stripe on it also. Google instructions for your tach adapter to find out which wire is the input and which one is the output. The input wire you attach to the coming from the black box on the left corner and the output attaches to the other side of the red wire. All the tach adapter is doing is sampleing the 12v sine wave pulse for your ignition, converting into a 12v square wave pulse so that a auto meter tach can read it, and then sending the 12v sine wave pulse back out the output and then into the red wire to be sent to your coils as if it was normal operation. Then you connect your tach to the tach signal wire coming form the tach adapter and do your basic power and light wiring and call it a day.

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
Here is a simple drawing i did real quick, the black box is the black box in the corner, the red wire of course is the red wire feeding your coils, the blue wire is the input wire to your tach adapter, the yellow wire is the output wire that feeds back into the red wire, the black wire is a ground cause i think thats on the adapter, and the gray wire represents the wire that connects to your tach.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!!
that helped allot i just have to figure out what wire is witch on my frpp tach driver.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cant seem to figure out witch wire goes where or does it mater i know witch is ground but does it mater witch one is connected to the pcm?
also what is the white wire on my autometer tach?

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
that is for the light i am pretty sure, google instructions for your adapter and it should tell you which wire is which

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all i can find is msd and auto meter instructions.... anyone have a Ford racing Tach driver? or know anything about them?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i thought that was what the white wire was for Thanks!!...

post pics of the tach driver?
do you have one?
its 3 wires and ones a ground im just wondering if it matters witch way i hook it up
if it comes down to it ill just try it one way and flip the wires if it doesnt work the worse that could happen is i fry the stupid thing... who needs a shift light ill just bounce her off the rev limiter... lol jk
ill post pics but by the time i do no one will look at this thread because i have to borrow the cam from the girlfriend>>*<<

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing one on my '06 GT. Check this out:
Auto Meter

Jim
thanks!!
that helped allot i just have to figure out what wire is witch on my frpp tach driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts