Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanting to install the XE270AH but i have NO CLUE on what the average cost is for install. i def dont want to get ripped off and i cant do'em myself. has anyone had them done?? or know the price???

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Well I would guess at least $500-700 in labor or more if you have them degreed. Plus you'll need new cam gears and bolts since your Windsor cams are pressed on.

I had a romeo engine in my car at the time. I used the AFM cam retention tool and only removed the valve covers lifters and rocker arms. I didn't even change the valve springs since I have a set of smaller profile cams. But you can using the AFM tool. You just pressurize the cylinder while you change the spring.

The tool holds the chain in the correct position on the bottom timing gears while you exchange the cams. You can either hold the top sprocket in place, or mark the top one.

On a Windsor setup you could the AFM tool if you compared the new sprocket to the older Windsor one and get it in the same position. But if it were a Windsor car I think I would pull the timing cover.

Since you have a 2003 why do you have windsor motor? Has it been changed? The windsor were only in the 99-00 because of a fire at the romeo plant.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
some 01's such as mine also have windsor engines.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i know ive heard it before but whats the easiest way to tell if i have a vindsor or romeo...

i think i have a romeo bc i have a late 01 (i have the t-3650)

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Depends on the shop and location and if youre doing valve springs or not too. Some people have paid 400 for cams & springs, others have paid up to 1100. It just all depends. Your best bet is to just actually call around and get a quote. Youll also need cam gears, cam gear bolts, cam gear spacers, and washers since you have a windsor.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Well I would guess at least $500-700 in labor or more if you have them degreed. Plus you'll need new cam gears and bolts since your Windsor cams are pressed on.

I had a romeo engine in my car at the time. I used the AFM cam retention tool and only removed the valve covers lifters and rocker arms. I didn't even change the valve springs since I have a set of smaller profile cams. But you can using the AFM tool. You just pressurize the cylinder while you change the spring.

The tool holds the chain in the correct position on the bottom timing gears while you exchange the cams. You can either hold the top sprocket in place, or mark the top one.

On a Windsor setup you could the AFM tool if you compared the new sprocket to the older Windsor one and get it in the same position. But if it were a Windsor car I think I would pull the timing cover.

Since you have a 2003 why do you have windsor motor? Has it been changed? The windsor were only in the 99-00 because of a fire at the romeo plant.

mustang specialty shop i have dealt with charges $400 for a cam only install...that includes degreeing them. so it depends...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$300 cam and degree only and $550 for cams, springs, and degreeing.
is that for the shop in houston? i live in FTW id be willing to drive down there for that price?

i looked around on the web and i think it was the 8th character on the vin means its a windsor, correct me if im wrong?? anyone??

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm........is that the price for my 03 gt?? cuz im not sure when they did the ole romeo windsor plant thingamadoohiky BUT i read that vin number thing and thats what i got..so i dont know?

if you can do it for that much i just might have to make a roadtrip to H-Town.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
is that for the shop in houston? i live in FTW id be willing to drive down there for that price?

i looked around on the web and i think it was the 8th character on the vin means its a windsor, correct me if im wrong?? anyone??
Count the valve cover bolts. 11 = romeo, 13/14 = windsor. Doesnt take but a few seconds and is an accurate way to tell.

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
If it's an 03 it's Romeo. Not Windsor. Yes. That's the price on the cam install. You supply the parts, he does the labor. Just count the bolts on the valve cover. You should have 11.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
yeah if its an 03 with a factory engine its a Romeo. i don't see why you couldn't do it yourself, its not hard at all. if you can take the valve covers off you can swap the cams out.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont know man. never thought about it really......

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

sorry the vin just tells you it's a 4.6 2v, not windsor/romeo/PI/non PI.
as to the cam install, just do some research & do it yourself, it's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!...... Do NOT go to Houston Performance. They installed my cams and tuned my car and it about cost me my car. They could NOT tune the car at all. My other tuner had to fix it for me. They suck and didnt even put all the parts back on my car after the install. They also left my blower pulley rubbing the alternator. It wasnt doing that before and i had to fix that as soon as i got back to shreveport. Then the belt broke when i had been using that belt for bout a year with no problems. Drove about 1 mile and the belt broke. They are a shitty shop!!! If you are in Fort Worth or the dallas area, [email protected] is the ****! Thats where i would go no doubt. He is my tuner and has my car set up PERFECT.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!...... Do NOT go to Houston Performance. They installed my cams and tuned my car and it about cost me my car. They could NOT tune the car at all. My other tuner had to fix it for me. They suck and didnt even put all the parts back on my car after the install. They also left my blower pulley rubbing the alternator. It wasnt doing that before and i had to fix that as soon as i got back to shreveport. Then the belt broke when i had been using that belt for bout a year with no problems. Drove about 1 mile and the belt broke. They are a shitty shop!!! If you are in Fort Worth or the dallas area, [email protected] is the ****! Thats where i would go no doubt. He is my tuner and has my car set up PERFECT.

Sorry I remember this story.

They make great cams though. I went from 431 to 515 with only their S292 street cams with stock heads. Did great with low boost and low rpm. I just dropped them in using a cam retention tool never even removing the timing cover. They only have 531 lift so I just ran the stock valve springs also.

Then I changed to Patriot stage 2 heads, TFS intake, and went from a S to a T-trim then put out the 665. They're still not degreed so there some hp left on the table. So theses same cams also perform well in high rpm and high boost apps. They also make a R292 that's more aggressive. I wonder if I went with them and ported my intake if 700 is possible with a T-trim and a 4.6 2v?

All the bigs used to run them and recommend them until they wanted to promote their own cams. Tim Barth from modularpowerhouse.com, Ken Bjonnes from Modulardepot.com, and Dave Guy from sgsperformance.com formerly know as Kauffmans.

Here's Tim Barth explaining his combo when he first broke 600 with a 2V
Higgins Ford Performance 2V hits 600rwhp - Corral Forums

1 - 20 of 24 Posts