Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so randomly when i shift to neutral when rolling up to a stoplight or to roll down a hill or something my rpm will drop to 200 and then bounce back to 1000 or it will completely stall... any ideas why?

·
Registered
249 Posts
AT or MT?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could be a few things... Fuel and spark would be the first things I would check. As your car decels to a stop, spark might be cutting out or the computer is not giving enough fuel to idle... hence the bouncing rpm's and stalling. It can also be a faulty sensor in transmission.

Is it doing it all the time or every once in a while? I had this problem with my '01 Accord MT, and it was my speed senor that went bad.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i haven't been able to figure it out. i was thinking the computer may have been giving too much or not enough fuel but i don't know why it would because my only mods are cai and gt takeoffs. my girlfriends 2002 5 speed v6 does the same thing and its completely stock. any ideas how i would go about pin pointing and fixing this issue?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would check your plugs, and wires. Check your coil pack. Maybe run some fuel injector cleaner. If the problem continues, it might be an electrical issue.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually tried the fuel injector cleaner no too long ago, probably 3 weeks or so and that didnt seem to help. maybe ill try replacing the plugs wires and coil with the nice performance stuff and see if it still happens.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would pull one of your plugs and check for scorching and excessive carbon build-Up. I actually just ordered a set of 8.5mm MSD wires and new plugs for my car. I had some really bad carbon build-up from the previous owner.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah theres a set of 9mm ford racing wires around somewhere but i cant seem to find them. i know jug got a set off ebay but they seem to be all gone =[

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
do you have a check engine light on?
some of the first things i'd do is clean the IAC and MAF
also check your air filter
and spark
how does the car run normally while cruising

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no check engine light. well not until it actually stalls but im assuming thats just the basic key in the on position but its not running deal but it runs fine while cruising.

the filter could probably be cleaned but i doubt its dirty enough to restrict airflow that much.

noob question. whats IAC? im assuming its idle something something lol.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My car did that today, the first time it ever did it, i think mine is dirty fuel injectors, imma run some cleaner through it n see if it helps.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok cool. ill take a look at it this coming weekend and see how everything looks. damn school keeping me away from my car... =[

·
Registered
249 Posts
IAC is the idle air control
usually gets kinda dirty and may need cleaning. i have like 3 spare if you need one
+1 on the IAC or MAF sensor (That is what I was referring to when I said "electrical" problem)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the MAF is the first sensor on your intake after the filter. and id say a little compressed air would be the best war to clean it. as for the IAC i dono im just going to check my book when i get home.:D very handy thing to have

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
random question. but chris did the tranny you got from the junkyard come out of a 99-04 mustang or something else? because i can find a yard within 50 miles or here that has a anything newer than a fox body... not that i need one but it just crossed my mind.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
my tranny is a brand new g-force tranny
so i cant help you there
the MAF clean with electrical cleaner or MAF cleaner
the IAC clean with carb cleaner

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
didnt you get one from the yard when your 3rd gear went out or w/e? or were you going to but got the new one instead?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts