Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read that there is no need to get cat backs as they provide no benefit. is this true? the only thing it would add would be some pretty Stainless Steel pipes? if so then eff that im going the cheaper route.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
So instead of asking me this Saturday you start a pointless thread waisting everyone's time that stops in to look... god you're useless sometimes :p

:hug

When we change your exhaust you're showing me how to tighten my side mirrors up. I swear they're about to fall off

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So instead of asking me this Saturday you start a pointless thread waisting everyone's time that stops in to look... god you're useless sometimes :p

:hug

When we change your exhaust you're showing me how to tighten my side mirrors up. I swear they're about to fall off
:lol i just wanted to see if there was a general consensus on the issue.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
this is true because you will just be replacing pipe that does not flow any better than the pipe that is oem
Mandrel bent pipes flow better then stock. Look at the two an you will see why. That isnt debateable.

The issue is that at stock/bolt on power levels it isnt going to make a difference.

The question really is how far are you taking the car.

A blown 3v with long tubes, o/r mid pipe, race axle backs. then yea i say get the over the axle pipes for the better flow.

Even on my car, I would never go back to stock over the axle pipes seeing how crushed they were at the bends.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mandrel bent pipes flow better then stock. Look at the two an you will see why. That isnt debateable.

The issue is that at stock/bolt on power levels it isnt going to make a difference.

The question really is how far are you taking the car.

A blown 3v with long tubes, o/r mid pipe, race axle backs. then yea i say get the over the axle pipes for the better flow.

Even on my car, I would never go back to stock over the axle pipes seeing how crushed they were at the bends.
Im not doing anything drastic as of yet. still a ways down the road. But in that time i could just get some custom bent pipes from a local shop correct?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Im not doing anything drastic as of yet. still a ways down the road. But in that time i could just get some custom bent pipes from a local shop correct?
Im not really a fan of custom done exhuast work like that. I mean if exhuast performance is all in the "tuning" of an exhuast system then I like systems that have been bent and tested by an exhuast company as a whole. Thats just me.

The cat backs are a tiny gain at best even on a 450rwhp car probably so it doesnt matter.

But stainless steel pipes sure look a lot better then the rusted up ass stockers i ripped off the car.

And some of the systems are a good deal. I had the magnapack cat back which cost me 579 i think? then i had/have the kooks cat back. I mean stingers, corsa's in some cases are costing 500 600 bucks just for axle backs.

those pipes come over the axle really straight and wont even mount to stock axle backs becuase they eliminate that last bend all together.

Plus pypes sells some mandrel bent over the axle pipes that will mount to the stockers which is what im putting on my car next. they are only 179 retail? Not bad.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
cat-backs = waste! why buy exhaust piping you already have on the car?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
cat-backs = waste! why buy exhaust piping you already have on the car?
I didnt realize mustangs came with mandrel bent pipes that retain the same diameter at the bends. My bad. i learn something new, im sure you have tested it though and know flow is the same and the bends are the same. Cool.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I didnt realize mustangs came with mandrel bent pipes that retain the same diameter at the bends. My bad. i learn something new, im sure you have tested it though and know flow is the same and the bends are the same. Cool.
i talk with enough performance shops in my area that tell me that cat-backs are a waste on the 05's since they provide 0 power gains. all are very well known reputable shops.

since you seem to be the big expert on these boards, please shed some light on this topic and show me some flow tests of some sort, so that I can learn something new..... cool?

·
Premium Member
22,436 Posts
Catbacks are worth some minimal gains on big power cars. It all adds up in the end.

I also had to replace my over the axle pipes because I had welded in my Magnaflow Magnapacks and I wasn't going to ghetto fab my exhaust up.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
since you seem to be the big expert on these boards, please shed some light on this topic and show me some flow tests of some sort, so that I can learn something new..... cool?
He did. Read the rest of the thread you either skimmed or didn't bother to read in the first place. :dunno

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Catbacks are worth some minimal gains on big power cars. It all adds up in the end.

I also had to replace my over the axle pipes because I had welded in my Magnaflow Magnapacks and I wasn't going to ghetto fab my exhaust up.
Ghetto Fab FTW!

I've been jonesing to use this all week:

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Just ask yourself if 1-2 more horsepower is worth $150+ more dollars.

It isn't. Yes, mandrel bent over axle pipe will flow better than the stock pipe, but that minuscule gain is not worth the extra cost. Buy some UDPs or LCAs with that money saved, or a midpipe, something that you will actually notice.

·
Premium Member
22,436 Posts
Just ask yourself if 1-2 more horsepower is worth $150+ more dollars.

It isn't. Yes, mandrel bent over axle pipe will flow better than the stock pipe, but that minuscule gain is not worth the extra cost. Buy some UDPs or LCAs with that money saved, or a midpipe, something that you will actually notice.
So what if you don't need UDPs and/or have all of the other stuff? It all adds up! It was completely worth it for me because I needed the over axle pipes but I probably would of still bought it if I didn't since the polished pipes look that much better.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
So let me get this right. You need a flow test to tell you that a 2.5" pipe with a constant inside diameter is going to flow better than a 2.5" pipe with kink in it?

I'm no rocket scientist but I don't need streams of data to tell me which one is better to have.

Do your own test. Next time you buy a soda at Micky D's, try putting a kink or pinch in the straw and see if it flows the same.

Reactions: DiMora
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.