Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soo i just orderd my new block and a cam to go with it..the guy said that the e cam or b cam should b ok with stock heads.....i got the b cam cuz the e was out of stock for a month and i need my car done asap. he didnt tell me i needed mass air..aparently i guess it will run, but not as good. i just found that out on there website. can anyone help me with this. :( can i just adjust timing? i know nothing about this

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, im new the the forum, your car must be an 86 or 88 I think are the years of speed density, you need to convert to mass air and get it tuned.

Sorry I know only this much, but thats why the cam is makin ur car run crappy.

Cheers,
UndaThaRug

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea its an 88 speed density....i need to send the cam back and hope my stock one is fine to use in my new motor. till then im out 200 bucks :(

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Speed density works off a map sensor that reads vacuum.. the problem with the b cam and many others is that they alter the vacuum too much to the point that it prevents or makes it difficult for the map sensor to get a real sense of what's going on basically.

There are speed density friendly cams out there but they are not aggressive at all and it really depends on the over all build of the motor/car to determine what type of cam is needed to achieve your goal. Many have gone 11's with the stock cam but it involved allot of work and time im sure.

It would be in your better interest to convert to a maf setup now if your going to throw a cam in the motor. It'll open up your choice of cam drastically and will allow for your ecm to adjust to your mods as best as it could without a professional tune.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for explaining it. i wondered what the difference is between mass air and speed density. i appreciate it. well for now i think i am going to put the stock cam in for now if its still good, nd later on i will convert to mass air and new cam....i need the car running now...is it easy to convert to mass air just a harness and new ecm?

·
Banned
837 Posts
thank you for explaining it. i wondered what the difference is between mass air and speed density. i appreciate it. well for now i think i am going to put the stock cam in for now if its still good, nd later on i will convert to mass air and new cam....i need the car running now...is it easy to convert to mass air just a harness and new ecm?
you have to move a few wires in the ECM harness and put I think 3 or 4 new ones in , take your MAP sensor vacuum line and disconnect it from the MAP sensor and plug off the line

Mustang Mass Air Conversion | StangNet

here is a cheap kit you can buy

86-88 EFI Ford Mustang 5.0 Mass Air Conversion Harness:eBay Motors (item 120472410521 end time Oct-21-09 20:37:09 PDT)

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
thanks for the help guys..ur the best!
They make it look like a cheap kit, but thats just the wire and the plug, you can get that at the junkyard for around 10-15 bucks, but you still need the MAF, and the ECM and not sure what else, that may be it. A lot of people here have done it and used used parts for fairly reasonable.

If you are going to be doing a lot of mods or changing heads down the road I would just throw the stock cam back in and maybe use that money to do your MAF conversion or other mods and wait till you have all the mods your going to do then chose a cam or go to Camshaft Innovations - Home and have jay grind you a cam specific for your setup.

You say you ordered a new block? What are you planning for the car mod wise? Did you get a stock block or aftermarket? I am guessing if you went with an aftermarket block you are planning to do a lot more mods and definately heads, and then you would definately want to go custom grind.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
told you to get the dam stock cam but you didnt listen

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got the block that late model resto is selling for 650, i think its stock but bored 60 over other than that id prolly throw some gt40 heads and intake on it..i dont need anything super powerful notyet anyways

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cant find a stock cam...need it asap.. dont want to pay 300 for it...no need to be an a** 93 hatch

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
sowwy, just saying, stick with whats proven dude

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
cant believe you cant find a stock cam.....EVERYONE on modded mustangs has HCI on their mustangs and 75% of those are running custom grinds......(yeah right) I have one from my 95 but shipping is gonna be like 70 bucks someone said in another post...you could have the cam for all I care.....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will the 95 cam work in my 88? if so ill let u know. im going to check mine out and see how it looks, and then if i need one ill def take you up on that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts