Votes: 3 100.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering what you guys would do.

I have a vortech kit now on the car making 448 whp

Would you guys do a B head swap and keep the supercharger or stay 2V and go turbo?

The reason for the B heads is I can get a great deal on some worked over heads and Mach 1 cams right now.

My goal is to hang with new stock cars for as long as I can with this thing, so some time soon I'm sure I will need 650+ whp.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Turbo.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because 2V bragging rights?

I wonder what PSI a turbo is pushing to get 650whp out of the 2V manual cars.

I already have ported 2V heads so staying 2v might be the best route. I can sell my Long tubes, H pipe, and blower cams for some recuperation. But I suppose I could do the same with the head swap too.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Because 2V bragging rights?

I wonder what PSI a turbo is pushing to get 650whp out of the 2V manual cars.

I already have ported 2V heads so staying 2v might be the best route. I can sell my Long tubes, H pipe, and blower cams for some recuperation. But I suppose I could do the same with the head swap too.
I guess you may need Trickflow heads to get to 650w so you would need heads anyway. I would do whichever route would save me the most money and be the lesser headache. Staying 2V seems to be the route most of the time. Do you have an Eddy intake?

You can sell your blower cams to me ;) What are the specs? Who ground them?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you may need Trickflow heads to get to 650w so you would need heads anyway. I would do whichever route would save me the most money and be the lesser headache. Staying 2V seems to be the route most of the time. Do you have an Eddy intake?

You can sell your blower cams to me ;) What are the specs? Who ground them?
They are the older MHS stage 2 blower cams they just changed the specs a little while ago for more lift.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
I dont see why you couldnt get some trickflow heads along with a turbo cam and e-85 will reach your goal pretty easily. I know turbo e-85 guys in the 700hp range with stock pi heads.

Reactions: bodyshot

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont see why you couldnt get some trickflow heads along with a turbo cam and e-85 will reach your goal pretty easily. I know turbo e-85 guys in the 700hp range with stock pi heads.
Swapping to a turbo and getting trick flow heads is not a likely possibility as these cars seem to be loosing value around here and I don't want to pour any more into it than I have to. That being said, I wonder if I could hit 650whp with the ported 2v heads I have, the vortech, some compression, and e85.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Honestly...

I have the TKO I bought and installed last summer out and apart for a hopeful shift upgrade. If that piece of **** doesn't shift right after the re-build the car is going on CL. I paid way to much for the TKO and its total junk after 5500RPM. It's the worst mistake I have ever made with a car and may just be the straw that broke the camels back for me. I just cant justify dumping money into 2 transmissions in less than 2 years on a car I could hardly get 10k for.

To add insult to injury I sold my T45 for cheap to a local guy thinking I was doing him a favor and he turned around and sold it for near double what I sold it to him for.

NEVER BUY A TKO!!!

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Swapping to a turbo and getting trick flow heads is not a likely possibility as these cars seem to be loosing value around here and I don't want to pour any more into it than I have to. That being said, I wonder if I could hit 650whp with the ported 2v heads I have, the vortech, some compression, and e85.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Honestly...

I have the TKO I bought and installed last summer out and apart for a hopeful shift upgrade. If that piece of **** doesn't shift right after the re-build the car is going on CL. I paid way to much for the TKO and its total junk after 5500RPM. It's the worst mistake I have ever made with a car and may just be the straw that broke the camels back for me. I just cant justify dumping money into 2 transmissions in less than 2 years on a car I could hardly get 10k for.

To add insult to injury I sold my T45 for cheap to a local guy thinking I was doing him a favor and he turned around and sold it for near double what I sold it to him for.

NEVER BUY A TKO!!!
Well I cant give any advice if your looking to make your money back on a value standpoint for these cars lol. I probably have around $15k in my car from when I purchased it back in 2014 and I think it only books at like $5500 or so lol. Im doing simply for the fun of it though and dont ever plan on selling.

Sucks about the transmission though. I've contemplated on going to a TKO but might be switching to the built t3650

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I hate to say it, but you really can't go about having a hotrod and expecting to get money out of it. It is a hobby, it can always be back shelved for a while. If it's your only car? Don't do that to yourself, LOL.

well... being a person who's done the blower to turbo swap... I went from p1sc 9 psi and comp 262's #415rwhp 397rwtq to an on3 67mm bb setup CMS stage 2's @12.7 psi and was at 539rwhp 601rwtq and now I'm running MHS ported stage 2 heads, MHS stage 2 turbo cams and a turbonetics 72mm journal... let's see what the curse t setup at the same boost level will do.

regardless.. the swap to a properly sized turbo will deliver serious torque numbers.. that is what will put you ahead of the coyote motors with centri blowers(which make a **** ton of hp... but they lack torque.)

The trans obstacle though... That is a tough pill to swallow, probably felt like when I put my shortblock together and had a clearance issue and released a bunch of metal flake into my bearings >_< get back up on that horse!!! make it happen!

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
You could do it. Compression and E85 add big power. Max out the blower, bump the compression to 10-11:1, tune it on E85.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I cant give any advice if your looking to make your money back on a value standpoint for these cars lol. I probably have around $15k in my car from when I purchased it back in 2014 and I think it only books at like $5500 or so lol. Im doing simply for the fun of it though and dont ever plan on selling.

Sucks about the transmission though. I've contemplated on going to a TKO but might be switching to the built t3650
I'm not really worried about resale it just making it harder for me to pump cash into the car.

Stay away from the TKO man honestly do yourself a favor and get a t56 or build that TR3650 you will thank yourself latter. Speaking to Bob Hanlon they used to swap TKO transmissions into 96-04 cars all the time but recently the TR3650 has had so many aftermarket parts designed that the TKO is now a side step to the 3650 and that only after the TKO is upgraded.

I am putting in carbon fiber lined blocker rings, modified shift finger, polished 1-2 shift rail, new fork pads, seals, and a pro 50. I will also be rechecking the concentric alignment of the quick time bell housing

I hope the cluster and main shaft are good because this thing was leaking out of the front cluster cap.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

I hate to say it, but you really can't go about having a hotrod and expecting to get money out of it. It is a hobby, it can always be back shelved for a while. If it's your only car? Don't do that to yourself, LOL.

well... being a person who's done the blower to turbo swap... I went from p1sc 9 psi and comp 262's #415rwhp 397rwtq to an on3 67mm bb setup CMS stage 2's @12.7 psi and was at 539rwhp 601rwtq and now I'm running MHS ported stage 2 heads, MHS stage 2 turbo cams and a turbonetics 72mm journal... let's see what the curse t setup at the same boost level will do.

regardless.. the swap to a properly sized turbo will deliver serious torque numbers.. that is what will put you ahead of the coyote motors with centri blowers(which make a **** ton of hp... but they lack torque.)

The trans obstacle though... That is a tough pill to swallow, probably felt like when I put my shortblock together and had a clearance issue and released a bunch of metal flake into my bearings >_< get back up on that horse!!! make it happen!
This is not my only car thank god for that. Those tq numbers are mind blowing out of a 4.6 very nice. I'm looking for on3 kits now.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
I totally agree on going turbo. Would like to make the transition myself at some point. The simplicity of the blower is the only think holding me back right now.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree on going turbo. Would like to make the transition myself at some point. The simplicity of the blower is the only think holding me back right now.
I hear you!

I am getting close to have all the parts together for my motor build and am still contemplating pistons at this point. I think I might blow my stock 160k mile 4.6 with the torque of a turbo so I would like to complete that build before I switch over. But this is definitely the plan if this transmission shifts right.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
if you get the on3 kit. run a ball bearing turbo. the horror stories you hear about their turbos are 99%the basekit 70mm journal.

and to be honest, after switching fro. the 67 on3 ball bearing to the 72mm turbonetics journal. i eish i had either stayed eith rhe 67 balk bearing. or paid out the ass for a 72 ball bearing.($1500) as opposed to the $875 journal bearing. the transient on/off throttle response of that 67 was glorious. my big toe resting on the gas peddle would have it whistling instantly. lightly giving it gas to pass someone Nd the thing would be trying to spool up like a 747. it was impressively loud.

this 72 I have to flat foot it to get any response out of it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you get the on3 kit. run a ball bearing turbo. the horror stories you hear about their turbos are 99%the basekit 70mm journal.

and to be honest, after switching fro. the 67 on3 ball bearing to the 72mm turbonetics journal. i eish i had either stayed eith rhe 67 balk bearing. or paid out the ass for a 72 ball bearing.($1500) as opposed to the $875 journal bearing. the transient on/off throttle response of that 67 was glorious. my big toe resting on the gas peddle would have it whistling instantly. lightly giving it gas to pass someone Nd the thing would be trying to spool up like a 747. it was impressively loud.

this 72 I have to flat foot it to get any response out of it.
Good to know man. I wonder how tough it would be to install a twin scroll unit. I'm sure they are expensive turbos and headers for them are complex or expensive or both.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Good to know man. I wonder how tough it would be to install a twin scroll unit. I'm sure they are expensive turbos and headers for them are complex or expensive or both.
my best advice would be figure out your goal, and how reliable you want it to be. and how many psi on pump gas. size the turbo accordingly to where the power should come in and choose a camshaft very wisely off of that turbo size.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the TKO man. I bought mine use (TKO600) and took the T-Rex off because of noisy and rough shifting. Installed a MGW and never looked back. It's a lot more quiet, shift are a little notches but a lot smoother than before and have no issues shifting at 6500rpms.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the TKO man. I bought mine use (TKO600) and took the T-Rex off because of noisy and rough shifting. Installed a MGW and never looked back. It's a lot more quiet, shift are a little notches but a lot smoother than before and have no issues shifting at 6500rpms.
Where did you buy your TKO?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts