Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 91gt backfires through the intake as soon as i give it any gas....its fine while it idles...but as soon as i put it in gear and put a load on the motor its VERY VERY slugish (cant go over 20mph or over like 1500 rpm) and backfires over and over through the intake...BUT as soon as i disconnect the mass air flow sensor it runs like it should...so is the MAF the culprit??? it has a egr delete and smog deleted...

·
Banned
980 Posts
i'd assume the car is running like ****/not driveable? is the MAF bad?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
check for codes and try a junkyard maf(if its cheap) or a new maf.

also might want to check the wiring, and cleaning the grounds never hurts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
what fireing order did you use? if its backfireing through the intake that meand it is fireing while the intake valve is open which technically is timing but it sounds like its a fireing order issue.

fireing order should be on the distrubiter

looking at the engine

4-------8
3-------7
2-------6
1-------5
...front...

very crude but u get the picture

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
if you disconnect the maf it runs like it should????? it shouldnt run at all.... do you have the right computer???

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
if you disconnect the maf it runs like it should????? it shouldnt run at all.... do you have the right computer???
itll run, my fox ran remember? that pos pro-m ****ing pos would run like it was unplugged and id have to turn my car off and back on and it would go away, i drove it unplugged around the block just to see if it felt the same, car will run normal under like very light load. Oh and i drove my mach to work with the maf unplugged like a month ago lolol:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
what fireing order did you use? if its backfireing through the intake that meand it is fireing while the intake valve is open which technically is timing but it sounds like its a fireing order issue.

fireing order should be on the distrubiter

looking at the engine

4-------8
3-------7
2-------6
1-------5
...front...

very crude but u get the picture
crude but better than a haynes manual lol

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the car was running perfect and it just started doing it out of nowhere....the plug wires have not been touched since the last tune up about 2 months ago and the timing is set at 10*....

yeah if i disconnect it the car runs good...it has the a9l computer...the car has been running perfect since i got it nothing has been touched for 2 months since the tune up...and has been running fine until yesterday morning....

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
you said it ran great with the maf unplugged? find a known working maf and put in

1 - 20 of 28 Posts