Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get some 325/50/15 MT DR's to go on the back of my Saleen. I have the sway bar relocation kit, Im wondering if there is a Weld wheel, Draglite or Pro Star with the correct backspacing.... what BS would I need to get those bad boys on there? I dont care if they stick out, they will be for the track anyway

TIA

·
Registered
159 Posts
good luck with that...supposedly the jegs version have the proper clearences thats what i was told by another s197 guy...when he put his weld 15s on he had to grind down calipers...i believe that was with a 5.5 bs

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
You won't get any weld draglite wheel on an s197 without taking a good bit of material off the brake caliper.

As metioned your only bolt on and go option right now is the wheels from jegs. If you do a search there's a nice long thread regarding it..

And to elaborate, greg weld was in the midst of rolling out a 15" direct fit wheel before he passed. A couple sets did come off production, they come with a huge premium and you'll have to find them used because what was available was depleted in seconds and no more production has occurred.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You won't get any weld draglite wheel on an s197 without tacking a good bit of material off the brake caliper.

As metioned your only bolt on and go option right now is the wheels from jegs. If you do a search there's a nice long thread regarding it..

+1 yea the jegs rims are cheaper but a little bit heavier. supposed to be able to handle street/track instead of more of a track duty rim...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Weld Racing make a rim for our cars with the correct backspacing of 7.5" for a 15x10 and supposedly clears the brake caliper but they are not cheap. I ordered 2 for the back. They are the Weldstar R/T and are lightweight and safe for the road and track. I'll post a pic of them this week when they come in.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weld Racing make a rim for our cars with the correct backspacing of 7.5" for a 15x10 and supposedly clears the brake caliper but they are not cheap. I ordered 2 for the back. They are the Weldstar R/T and are lightweight and safe for the road and track. I'll post a pic of them this week when they come in.
oh yeah, that would be nice!
How much did they run ya?

·
Registered
623 Posts
$399.00 ea. from Jim's Racing Tires. He included all the lugs, washers, valve stems and shipping. He beat everyone's price.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dayuuuuuum!
Def would like to see some pics of those bad boys

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so they 325/50/15s will fit the car on the Jegs 10" wheel with 6.5" BS?...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm running a 15x10 with 7.5" of backspace, I believe this is the recomended backspace with a 10" wide wheel. If you run less backspace on a 10" rim you risk the chance of the tire rubbing when the back end squats. I know guys have run 15x8 with 5.5" back space.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here are a couple of pics. from my car. Keep in mind there is no engine in the car so there is quite a gap over the front wheels. My wheels are Weldstars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Weldstar's clear swaybar?

Did the 15x10 Weldstar's with 7.5 BS clear the stock sway bar?

What size M/T's did you end up with?

Thanks,

·
Registered
623 Posts
On my car the sway bar would contact the rim, I bought rear sway bar reloction brackets from Steeda. I run a M/T ET Street 26x11.5x15 and it hooks up very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
kraigster,

OK. Got the Steeda kit. The online instructions indicate you have cut the sway bar 1" inch off each end. However, the instructions with the kit do not mention cutting the sway bar, but they show cutting the bottom off the axle bracket where the stock bolts went. Which method worked for you with the Weldstars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
M/T Drag Radials

RICVA05,

Here are a couple of pics. from my car. Keep in mind there is no engine in the car so there is quite a gap over the front wheels. My wheels are Weldstars.

Did you mount 275/60/15 M/T Drag Radials on the rear 15x10 7.5 BS Weldstars?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did the 15x10 Weldstar's with 7.5 BS clear the stock sway bar?

What size M/T's did you end up with?

Thanks,
sorry for the late reply. I ended up going with the 15x8 pro stars and 275/50/15 MT drag radials. When these wear out though, Im going with the 275/60's

·
Registered
623 Posts
kraigster,

OK. Got the Steeda kit. The online instructions indicate you have cut the sway bar 1" inch off each end. However, the instructions with the kit do not mention cutting the sway bar, but they show cutting the bottom off the axle bracket where the stock bolts went. Which method worked for you with the Weldstars?

Thanks!
There is NO cutting of the sway bar. I took a die grinder with a cutting wheel and trimmed of some of the bracket that the sway bar bolts to. When you go to mount the wheel up you will see what needs to be trimmed. Make sure you give yourself at least 1/4" of room for flex or your nice alum. wheel will rub at times. Also, I made the mistake of getting the sway bar turned around, crazy thing is, it will bolt right up but will touch the lca. So make sure you keep the right side of the sway bar to the right side of the bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry for the late reply. I ended up going with the 15x8 pro stars and 275/50/15 MT drag radials. When these wear out though, Im going with the 275/60's
Thanks for the reply. In the pictures you have posted, what size and BS and tire size are shown?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is NO cutting of the sway bar. I took a die grinder with a cutting wheel and trimmed of some of the bracket that the sway bar bolts to. When you go to mount the wheel up you will see what needs to be trimmed. Make sure you give yourself at least 1/4" of room for flex or your nice alum. wheel will rub at times. Also, I made the mistake of getting the sway bar turned around, crazy thing is, it will bolt right up but will touch the lca. So make sure you keep the right side of the sway bar to the right side of the bracket.
Thanks kraigster. Hopefully the grind required still leaves the enough of the bracket useable if a switch back to stock is required.

I experienced the sway bar rotation and it really had me wondering what the hell happened...

Really appreciate your help. You have a sweet set-up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts