Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could this cause a clicking noise when breaking and sometimes turning? I know it was going bad a little while back. I'm just hoping this is the noise I have been looking for...

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
yes it is possible to have clicking noises from bad bushings. I have heard them sound like a bowl of rice crispies too. Snap, crackle and pop!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL that describes it then. Just wanted to really clarify that before I get into it. Reps.
Also once the a-arm is dropped from the strut and sway bar, it's just a couple bolts right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
well yeah, but you're removing the spring too. not a big deal, just don't expect it to be a 10 minute job. if you're going this far, i would replace all the bushings, on both sides, with urethane versions. not going to be the cheapest or quickest task, but you're going to be half way there anyway and it'll be done once and for all.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
If you are keeping the car fairly stock, ford motorsport sells a control arm kit that has new bushings and ball joints. I think it is worth the expense so you don't have any issues with replacing the bushings and ball joints.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well yeah, but you're removing the spring too. not a big deal, just don't expect it to be a 10 minute job. if you're going this far, i would replace all the bushings, on both sides, with urethane versions. not going to be the cheapest or quickest task, but you're going to be half way there anyway and it'll be done once and for all.
Urethane bushings do not sound like too bad of an idea. Where would you reccomend getting them from?

If you are keeping the car fairly stock, ford motorsport sells a control arm kit that has new bushings and ball joints. I think it is worth the expense so you don't have any issues with replacing the bushings and ball joints.
Unfortunately I just had the ball joints replaced in the past year or so. Not looking to spend the extra money, as for right now I'm being a cheap ass...

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
word. take your arms off and drill out the rubber with a 3/8 bit. make a bunch of holes. all of the rubber will peel out. (many folks say to use a torch but that makes a mess..... the drill bit method is easy, cleaner and quicker) after that, push in some urethane units. the urathane bushings use the stock bushing shell so you wont have to press anything in or out. all you will have to do is concern yourself with compressing the spring. google for some write ups and search on here about it. your set up should be the same as a fox body.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
word. take your arms off and drill out the rubber with a 3/8 bit. make a bunch of holes. all of the rubber will peel out. (many folks say to use a torch but that makes a mess..... the drill bit method is easy, cleaner and quicker) after that, push in some urethane units. the urathane bushings use the stock bushing shell so you wont have to press anything in or out. all you will have to do is concern yourself with compressing the spring. google for some write ups and search on here about it. your set up should be the same as a fox body.
Can't you just use a jack to push the a arm up and compress the spring? I might switch out springs while I'm at it anyway.
Where can I get urathane bushings?

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
you can but you have to be careful because there wont be anything keeping the spring and a arm from kicking out sideways. it can be done. I suggest having a 3 foot pry bar and a buddy around to help line things up when you are finished. the urathane stuff could probably be ordered special through autozone or pep boys. you can get them from places on line too. i think you can get them from 50 resto but screw paying 14.99 to ship them. i dont know if american muscle has them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
American Muscle has them. you can use a jack to compress the springs too as that's what i did.

also, i would change one thing at a time. get the urethane bushings in (preferably everywhere, including the rear suspension and aluminum bushings on the steering rack) and see if that helps. i'd wait on the springs as you may be fixing something else if that doesn't take care of the problem.

you will notice a big difference though...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a clunk/click when braking and sometimes turning, which was fixed with new a-arm bushings. Try spraying one bushing at a time with silicone lubricant and drive around. Drench the bushing well; this cured my clunk temporarily and clued me into the source.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot guys. I jacked the car up and there wasn't a bushings on the drivers side where I was hearing the noise. So I found my problem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I jacked the car up and there wasn't a bushings on the drivers side where I was hearing the noise. So I found my problem.
Or no bushing at all could be a problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here in the land of rust we recommend replacing the a-arm bolts when you do the bushings as they tend to become one with the bushing sleeve and require removal with a sawzall.

Unless you have lowering springs you will want the Maximum Motorsport tool to re-install the springs, if you want to keep all of your fingers, that is.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the bushing fell out the outer shell should be there still right? The bushings don't come with them is why I'm asking...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts