Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently ive had a bad vibration on the highway come up out of nowhere

Th vibration is not ALWAYS there...and it seems to do it more once the car has been driving for a long period of time.

Its starts to become very noticeable around 65-70mph and just gets worse and worse and ill be afraid to take the car above 85 because it vibrates so bad.

Weird thing is, the next day i could hop on the highway and i might not have it at all and can take the car to 90mph with barely any vibration.... This makes diagnosing very difficult.

The vibration seems to be amplified if i step on the brakes and seems to lessen if i press down the gas a little

If i brake with the wheel turned slightly at 70mph+ it seems absolutely terrible and is by far the worst.

You can defiantly feel it in the brake pedal when im braking too, makes me think warped rotor but it vibrates when im not on the brakes too

The vibration frequency is almost sewing machine fast, if i look over i can see the entire passenger seat shaking back and fourth so it the entire car shaking not just the brake pedal. And it shakes like this whether im on the gas, on the brake or just cruising at 70+.

it just seems worse when im braking

Right now im thinking something must be worn out, im leaning towards u joints but any suggestion is appreciated. like i said the fact that this occurs alot worse on some days than others is very frustrating and making it hard for me to pinpoint the culprit...also the fact that it vibrates worse after the car has been driving for 30+mins also boggles my mind, ive never known a car that has done what mine is doing right now lol...just hoping theres the one guy on here that may have had something very similar or otherwise it will be a nightmare and im just going to have to replace things until its fixed.

So let me hear your suggestions and thanks in advance...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Last time I had an issue with that...one of the caliper bolts was loose. Time to check on the breaks!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope its something as easy as that, tearing it apart when this weekend

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Have you inspected the Driveshaft bolts to see if they are loose or missing?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I've got a vibration at highway speeds too, well actually 45-50mph and 72mph+. But... I've checked everything but drive line balance. So now I'll probably have to have my drive shaft checked for balance.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I would do a thorough check of the rotors, brakes, and wheel weights... one might have fallen off. As mentioned check the driveshaft bolts. Perhaps the driveshaft weight even fell off. check that as well.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had this same problem and it ended up being the wheel bearing. I replaced both sides at the same time. Install is really easy and took only about an hour .

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah come friday or saturday ill crawl under there and check it out. for the first time ever today i heard a "clunk" and even felt it..happened like 1 min after i started up the car and stopped at a stop sign. felt like it came from right under my seat. im really thinking u joints or something driveshaft related.

·
IG: opiesvt
8,782 Posts
Yep, checking the driveshaft or universal joint would be a good place to start.

Grab the driveshaft and try to turn it with your hands.. See if it freely rotates or shakes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
happened to me and it was loose driveshaft bolts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Im having the same issue right now and cant figure it out. I need to take it into get the driveshaft checked.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
All the shops in my area are wanting about $120 to pull it out and balance it. Does this sounds right?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just crawl right under it, man!
I have zero experience with drivelines. I dont even know what to look for, what would I look for to see if it is out of balance? I did crawl under it the other day and while the transmission was in 1st gear, tried to turn the driveshaft by hand. It only turned about 1/2" either way and made a clunking noise whenever it would bottom out while I was turning it. Buddy said this was probably back lash in the rear gears?

·
IG: opiesvt
8,782 Posts
I don't think it has to be in a gear to check if it has weird vibrations...I could be wrong tho. I'm not a mechanic.

Just grab it and shake it (lol).. see if it moves in a way that's not normal for a driveshaft to move, like left to right...look at the u-joint for wear.

I'm sure there's someone else about to post on what to look for, but to me, if there's a vibration with the driveshaft, you should be able to tell by using your hands to **** around with it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't think it has to be in a gear to check if it has weird vibrations...I could be wrong tho. I'm not a mechanic.

Just grab it and shake it (lol).. see if it moves in a way that's not normal for a driveshaft to move, like left to right...look at the u-joint for wear.

I'm sure there's someone else about to post on what to look for, but to me, if there's a vibration with the driveshaft, you should be able to tell by using your hands to **** around with it.
Alright, I will look into that tonight. Stupid question and off topic, but where is the best place to jack the rear from to get stands under the rear axle? I cant fit my jack all the way under the dogbone from the rear and misplaced my 2x4 blocks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i jack mine on the gear cover. but there are 5, 10 or 12mm bolts that hold the driveshaft to the gears

1 - 20 of 29 Posts