Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't think i'm gonna get the 86 GT i went to look at. :( it's got more issues than i thought. it shakes like a bowl full of jello when you accelerate. i'm guessing that's transmission related. i planned on having that rebuilt anyway. but, it seems to have more wrong with it than i knew about before. it was originally, carbed, and the owner said whoever converted it to EFI didn't know what the hell they were doing. i don't know much about these cars, so i figure it would be better to wait and find something in a little better shape. rather than fighting with it just to get it in decent enough shape to take it out for a drive whenever i feel like it.

oh well. there've been more disappointing things happen in my life. like when i found out wrestling wasn't real.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
dam dude uber gay, like when i found out girls actually go number 2

·
Registered
496 Posts
ahahah, nice..

Ive been there, theyll say "like new, runs great." Meanwhile its "like new, runs like a bag of ****, my issues can now be yours all for......"

Brett!

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the ad didn't claim that it ran well. the guy was really straight forward. but when i got there and looked at it, it just seemed like it would be too much work. i still haven't decided. i mean, it's only a thousand bucks. i don't expect it to be perfect by any means. just not sure if i'm willing to put in all the money and time it's going to require.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dam dude uber gay, like when i found out girls actually go number 2
nah, what's really bad is when you go in the bathroom after her and you can smell it. :eek:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That shaking during accelerating probably isn't the transmission. I would be willing to bet it has something to do with the EFI conversion. Does it smooth out after it reaches cruising speed?

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That shaking during accelerating probably isn't the transmission. I would be willing to bet it has something to do with the EFI conversion. Does it smooth out after it reaches cruising speed?
no, it shakes the entire car. the shifter shakes like mad and it really feels like it's in the tranny, or rear end. it revs pretty smoothly. just when put in gear, it shakes as soon as you start to let the clutch out. i didn't drive it that far of get it that fast, only hit 3rd gear.

*Edit: he said it only started soing that a few months ago. if it were something to do with the EFI conversion, it wouldn't have just started out of the blue, would it?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea it could happen out of the blue. I'm not knoweledgable enough to tell you that it is for sure the EFI or not, but it seems to me like it is, especially since you said when its under load it shakes. If you were running on 7 cylinders (or less) the car would shake pretty bad. sometimes it wouldn't be noticable at idle, especially in a car that could idle "rough" to begin with. What would be a good indicator to me would be to rev it in neutral and see if it feels smooth or not. If its smooth, then its in the trans, rearend, ect. if it revs like crap in neutral, then you know it has something to do with the engine.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, it seems to rev smoothly in neutral.

anyone know what i'd be looking at price wise for a tranny rebuild?

·
Registered
569 Posts
depends on whats wrong with it...i needed like 2 synchros first gear slider or somethin and a couple other things and it was 600 idk if that helps..a new t5 is like 1000 bucks

·
Registered
333 Posts
If the whole car shakes like that I'd almost be willing to put down some money that it has a bad clutch---something like the springs inside the disk are broke.

If you found an 86 that came carbed then it's a rare car indeed--because that was the first year for SEFI. So the current owner either doesn't know what he is talking about, or it was converted to carb then back to efi. Either way, that car did not come with a carb.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the whole car shakes like that I'd almost be willing to put down some money that it has a bad clutch---something like the springs inside the disk are broke.

If you found an 86 that came carbed then it's a rare car indeed--because that was the first year for SEFI. So the current owner either doesn't know what he is talking about, or it was converted to carb then back to efi. Either way, that car did not come with a carb.
he did say that the clutch needs to be replaced.

what about buying a rebuilt tranny? i found a few on craigs for between 450 and 550. should just be a matter of swapping them out and replacing the clutch while i'm at it, right?

i'm just wondering if it's gonna be worth it to get the car. i really want it, cause the body is in good shape and it seems to run pretty good. engine wise that is. and it's only 1000 bucks. i just don't wanna get stuck with a money pit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
what about buying a rebuilt tranny? i found a few on craigs for between 450 and 550. should just be a matter of swapping them out and replacing the clutch while i'm at it, right?

i just don't wanna get stuck with a money pit.
First, I wouldn't worry about a tranny--yet, I'd troubleshoot the problem instead of throwing parts at it. If the clutch needs to be replaced then R2 the clutch--being mindful to get the flywheel cut at the same time and to also look at your T-5 when it's out (good time to upgrade to a steel bearing retainer).

Second---get a Geo. Haven't you learned by now that all Mustangs are money pits?? Seriously, if you like the car, the engine runs good, and the body is good then get the car. $1000 isn't a bad price--but try to negotiate a little because it does need a new clutch.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
i smelt a girls fart once and thats what pretty much ruined it for me

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First, I wouldn't worry about a tranny--yet, I'd troubleshoot the problem instead of throwing parts at it. If the clutch needs to be replaced then R2 the clutch--being mindful to get the flywheel cut at the same time and to also look at your T-5 when it's out (good time to upgrade to a steel bearing retainer).

Second---get a Geo. Haven't you learned by now that all Mustangs are money pits?? Seriously, if you like the car, the engine runs good, and the body is good then get the car. $1000 isn't a bad price--but try to negotiate a little because it does need a new clutch.
that's the negotiated price. he was asking more, but i talked to him about the work and he came off 2 hundy. he SAYS he's got a guy who'll buy it, sight unseen, for the full amount. but, you never know. he could be pullin my chain to make me think he's hookin me up. he seems like a good dude though. good ole country boy. but 1000 bucks doesn't really seem too bad for a good body and what i'm assuming is a good motor. he doesn't really know much about what all has been done to the motor as it was how it is now, when he bought it about a year ago. he said he thought it had new injectors, but he didn't know about any of the internals. but it does have some pullies, cobra intake, and CAI, that's all i saw. i think i'm gonna get it and just deal with whatever come at me. :crazy

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Boooooooo *checks you off the list of 4eyed cool dudes*
i'm assuming that was directed towards me. i'm still cool.... i like Dan Fogelberg, hoola hoops, and pac-man video games.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's got a Cobra intake, pulleys, and new injecotrs it might be worth it in parts alone (not quite--but close). I'd say jump on it, replace the clutch, then see where you're at as far as the shudder goes.
i've decided to get it. now, if i can only decide what to have for breakfast.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts