Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempting to prime my new engine that I just installed, and it won't crank over. Figured it was the battery at first so I charged it for an hour or so, went to crank it and the starter just "clicked". Only once, not repetitively. So then I turned the motor over by hand, turned easily, no hesitations. Swap out a battery from my dad's 98 GT which is new, and now it doesn't even make the click noise. I'll check my connections tomorrow and see. Clean em up a bit. Note: the starter has been sitting in my house for ~8 months and there are Longtubes on it now so maybe it's arching out to the header..

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
yup, check, the grounds and double check the connections on the starter

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have heard of starters and alternators going bad after a few months of rest. Have a meter/tester? Test the voltage at the starter connectors when cranking and when just sitting.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know where the possible grounds are to check? I think I have a meter around here somewhere to check the connections. Gonna clean up the connectors on the starter first tomorrow and bolt back on and see how that goes.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
ground at the engine mount, driver head light area, block near the oil filter

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Wouldnt the crank positioning sensor cause that? Something else to look at, but if not definatley sounds like a connection issue.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ground at the engine mount, driver head light area, block near the oil filter
Dahh, I knew that motor mount ones would be them. Thing is a PITA to get to. But I made sure it was tight when I connected it. I'll have to check it out if I can. I'll start easy first with the connections at the starter lol

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
mine did the same thing when i had a loose connection (one of the positive cables that clamps into the battery end)

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Wouldnt the crank positioning sensor cause that? Something else to look at, but if not definatley sounds like a connection issue.
Nope. Even if the CPS was unplugged, the starter would crank the engine. The engine just wouldn't start.

I agree that it sounds like a ground/connection issue.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turned out to be the ground wire ON the starter...never knew I loosened it LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts