Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
Ya i have the same problem. I believe it is a spark plug. How difficult are they to change for someone who is mechanically illiterate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
I personally believe in diagnosing a problem before you spend your money on stuff you dont need.

First thing you should do before you go spending all this money is take your car to Advance Auto and have them check your battery . Its free. And while your there ,have them pull any DTC's and post up the results. The starter really shoudnt be giving you any problems at 50k . But if they battery turns out to be ok ,you can go from there.

You can check it yourself if you have a digital multimeter. Start with diagnosing the problem before you go spending money on things you dont need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,688 Posts
Fryrice said:
I personally believe in diagnosing a problem before you spend your money on stuff you dont need.

First thing you should do before you go spending all this money is take your car to Advance Auto and have them check your battery . Its free. And while your there ,have them pull any DTC's and post up the results. The starter really shoudnt be giving you any problems at 50k . But if they battery turns out to be ok ,you can go from there.

You can check it yourself if you have a digital multimeter. Start with diagnosing the problem before you go spending money on things you dont need.
Diagnosing the problem before fixing it is always the way to go +1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
^ And thats why your the #1 mod on MM named Juggalo....cuz you are a smart dude.....lol :D

But yeah,his description sounds like a battery problem since the car needs that to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,688 Posts
Fryrice said:
^ And thats why your the #1 mod on MM named Juggalo....cuz you are a smart dude.....lol :D

But yeah,his description sounds like a battery problem since the car needs that to start.
bad batt or starter usually cause sluggish starts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
if you think its ur starter or battery take them to your local autozone they will take a machine out and test ur electrical system if they have the machine there if not take off the starter and batter take them in and they can check them on a duratester .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
I doubt its the starter at 50k .Thats just not common on these cars .not out of the realm of possibility ,Im jus sayin. Mine is still factory with 92k and a lot more HP than him.

You dont wanna remove your starter to have a store test it. They are PITA to reinstall depending on the mounting bolt placement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,579 Posts
i got 115k miles and my alternator was change like 2 times (i'm really lucky with bosch alts) and never needed a starter change (love u god)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What is a starter? Is that just the electric motor that turns the engine or is it something different?

Also wouldn't that gauge on the isterment cluster show that the battery is bad? I have a car battery charger in the garage too so maybe I should figure out how that works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,579 Posts
Top Gear said:
What is a starter? Is that just the electric motor that turns the engine or is it something different?

Also wouldn't that gauge on the isterment cluster show that the battery is bad? I have a car battery charger in the garage too so maybe I should figure out how that works.
u got somewhat of an idea.. its like a motor that spins the (eje.. idk how to tell it on english)... the thing its.. it turns ur motor on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
Rule #1 about stock gauges...they are just about useless as far as accuracy.

They give you a round about idea of whats goin on. But you shouldn't rely on them to give you a 100% reading.

Thats why the battery gauge goes from like 8-18 or whatever. Even the car doesn't know exactly. Same with the oil gauge .
 
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Top