Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Newbie!!!!
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lastnight i traded my 00 gt for a super clean 92 notch which is what i was looking for originally. Sounds good, has a b cam 70 mm throttle body, all msd. Anyway, i drove it around a little lastnight while looking at it but never got it above.probly 60. This am on the way to work as soon as i hit 70 the.whole car started vibrating. Its for sure in yhe driveline somewhere because the shifter was shaki.g so bad you couldnt hardly hold on to it. Its not a tire vibration. I know what that feels like and wouldnt be tbis violent. Any ideas where to start looking?
Thx

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Does it ever vibrate on take-off?

Check your driveshaft. Could be out of balance. Mine did that too...

Also could be the pilot bearing.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
u joints!

ooooor.... your bolts that attach your driveshaft to yout pinion flange at the rear may have worked loose..... um - don't ask how I how this:)

faststangstillmakesmehorny

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
My d/s was loose once too, don't know how. But it vibrated bad at like 35, not 70. Check u-joints and report back.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
UCC
250 Posts
Its the driveshaft i had a problem on a fox i bought also check the tranny mount

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Good choice on picking up a fox. But just remember, these cars are 20 plus years old. There not going to be perfect, they need work, so dont get discouraged if you have to put in some work and $$$$.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Driveshaft. Mine did the same thing when I bought it. I bought an aluminum ford racing drive shaft and put it in there and problem solved.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Good choice on picking up a fox. But just remember, these cars are 20 plus years old. There not going to be perfect, they need work, so dont get discouraged if you have to put in some work and $$$$.
You, you... :lmao

This is some good advice ^^ you're lucky Ryan chimed in to say it :D right, Ryan? :p

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Does if vibrate the same at 70+ regardless of the engine rpm, gear you are in including N, clutch in or out, on accell or deaccel?
If you know someone with a fox, you can swap the entire driveshaft and everything attached in about 5 minutes and test. I know you said it's not the tires or rims and its probably not but I'd still rotate them or at least pull them and get familiar with the condition of the brakes, rotors, brake lines, ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc.. Like Ryanw stated, it's a 20 year old box of chocolates.

What gears does it have? The higher the gear ratio, the more you will feel a small defect in the u-joints or driveshaft because they spins faster than a car with a lower gear ratio at the same speed. A driveshaft that is slightly out of balance may feel okay on a car with 2.73 at 70 but vibrate bad on a car with 3.73 going 70.

·
Newbie!!!!
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing yet. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm going to a fox body buddies on the day after Xmas and he's going to help me figure it out. He has 4 of them and knows them in and out. Bought new u joints for it yesterday so I'm ready. And to answer one of the questions.......it doesn't matter what gear your in when it starts and the only way you can get rid of it is to slow down. I tried throttling through it and it just worse

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Your looking at a bad transmission mount bushings, bad U joints, or loose bolts on the Driveshaft.

·
Newbie!!!!
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got her on the lift this afternoon and gave her a.look and she.has brand new u joints. So the.drive shaft will be going to the.shop tomorrow to ck for balance and straightness

·
He of Long Wind
2,172 Posts
Awaiting update. Would like to know the answer to this puzzle. I had an old Dodge Van in a 90's that did the same thing, and I could NEVER figure it out From 67-73 mph it shook hard enough to vibrate your drink out of the cup holder. Faster or slower was fine.

:popcorn

·
Newbie!!!!
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish mine would clear up like that. Id just power thru it, but it just gets more violent the faster you.go

·
Newbie!!!!
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you actually check them by unhooking the drive shaft and moving them, or just look at them? New parts can fail too.

Didnt actually take them apart no

1 - 20 of 43 Posts