Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am pretty sure my right rear wheel bearing is going out. i have never changed a wheel bearing on a 98 mustang so i dont know how hard or easy its going to be. does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
631 Posts
it should be the same as my 99. you're going to have to tear the rear end down to get to it. its easier done with the rear end removed. you'll need the bearings, new 70-90w gear oil, new rear end seal. while youre at it if you havent upgraded your gears or want tlok, this is the perfect opp. dont feel to bad, mines on its way out, im just trying to find a 8.8, instead.

u dont have to completely remove the rear end. i just dont like cramped quarters when im working on my cars.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If your wheel bearing is going out it is likely the axle will need to be replaced as well. I found one in a bone yard for mine. Otherwise you will need to pull the rear cover and remove a piece in the center as you will need to pull the clip off of the end of the axle in order to pull it. Then the bearing will need to be pulled out of the axle housing and a new one installed along with a new seal. I am away from home right now so I don't have access to my manuals until Monday. At that point I could be more specific on the parts that need to be removed. Others could likely help in the meantime.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah thats pretty much the jist of it.you have to remove the center pin its held in by a little bolt on the carrier its like a 9 mm socket to get it off.once that bolt is out the center pin will pretty much drop right out,then just push inward on the axle and the C clip will also come right out I like using a magnetic tool on the clip so it doesnt fall into the bottom of the housing,since there will still be some gear oil laying on the bottom.

once the clip is out the axle will pull right out.you can rent a tool to pull the bearing out.
the ones I have rented are like a slap hammer with a special attachement.

you will be able to tell right away if your axle needs replacing,just look where the bearing rides if its not chewed up ur good to go then just tap the bearing and seal back in.the worst part of the job is that stinking gear oil.youll also need a tube of friction modifier to add with the new gear oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the front ones are really easy to change out. Two bolts on the caliper, pop the hub cap use a 1 3/8 socket with a breaker bar, remove two retainer clips on the studs. The rest is easy just follow the same directions and don't forget to clean the ABS senors. hope this helps let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts